UH-Create a new Moodle area connected to Sisu on the course page
- Opetustyön ohjeet: Moodle-tuki
- Onhan opiskelijoillasi tunnukset? - Do your students have user accounts? - Har alla dina studenter användarnamn?
- Luo uusi Moodle-alue Create a new Moodle area Skapa ett nytt Moodle-område
- Videot Moodlessa
- Avoimen yliopiston ohjeita
Suomeksi: Sisusta yhdistetyn Moodle-alueen luonti kurssisivuilla På svenska: Skapa ett nytt Moodle-område kopplat till Sisu på kurssidan
There are two ways for a teacher in the University of Helsinki to get a new Moodle area:
N.B. Open University Moodle areas are ordered from an education specialist of the discipline in question.
Why should I connect a Moodle area to Sisu?
- Every student who is confirmed enrolled for the course in Sisu will automatically have access to the Moodle area (after the teacher has opened it).
- The teacher does not have to add the students to Moodle themselves or ask the students to register for the course. Self enrolment and enrolment key are unnecessary.
- The students and teachers receive a link to the Moodle area to their My studies / My Teaching page in Flamma. The link to the Moodle area is also shown on the course page.
- If the student’s enrolment is cancelled or deleted from Sisu, students status will change to "suspended" in the Moodle area and they can't enter the Moodle area anymore.
- It will be possible to transfer grades from Moodle gradebook to Sisu, see Instruction for teaching: Exporting grades from Moodle to Sisu).
When should I not connect a Moodle area to Sisu?
- If students need to access the Moodle area before enrolments are confirmed in Sisu. See instructions below.
- It is not possible to create own Moodle areas for Sisu's implementation groups and synchronise students from Sisu to Moodle. The Moodle area can only be created for one Sisu implementation / course page. If the groups don't have their own implementations in Sisu you should order a Moodle area for groups using the form and assign students self-registration. The information of Sisu's groups is not transferred to Moodle.
- The same Moodle area cannot be created automatically for two or more Sisu implementations / course pages. See instructions below.
- When you want to schedule the opening of a Moodle area for students, order the Moodle area with a form and use self-registration and its scheduling.
Instructions: Create a Moodle area on the course page
A teacher or an officer can create a new Moodle area from course page. This way, the students confirmed enrolled for the course in Sisu will be automatically transferred on to the Moodle area. If an officer creates a Moodle area, they will also get teacher rights to the Moodle area. Please remember to always order a new Moodle area for a new course implementation (do not use the Moodle area again the following year).
- Login to Flamma Teacher Page > My teaching or find the course in Studies service > Courses.
- Go to the course page of your course by clicking its link and if you have not yet logged in to course page, please log in.
- Click on Edit course page button.
- On the editing page go to the section Moodle link.
- Click Create a new Moodle course area button.
- The new Moodle area is created immediately. The person who clicked the Create a new Moodle course area button, the teachers defined for the course in Sisu and the students who have confirmed enrolled for the course in Sisu, are automatically synchronised to the Moodle area.
- Add the address of the new Moodle area on the course page by clicking Link created Moodle area to the course page button. It will be soon also on the My studies page and Teacher page in Flamma.
- The students have access to the Moodle area after the teacher has opened the Moodle area for the students. (In Moodle: Actions menu (Gear menu on the top right) > Edit Settings > Course visibility > Show > Save and display).
- The teacher can also edit other information in the Moodle area settings like: the Course full name, Course short name, Course start date and Course end date. The Course full name and the Course description come in three languages if available in Sisu. Multilingualism is implemented with the Multi-language content filter. If the Course full name in the three languages is longer than what is allowed in the field, the name will only be given in the language of the course.
- The course start date of the Moodle area is the start date specified in Sisu. So the Moodle area is usually found first on the future courses on the Moodle Dashboard. The course end date of the Moodle area will be the end date in Sisu + 1 month. This way, the course area is still on the In progress courses on the Dashboard until the assessment, etc. is completed. These settings do not close / hide the Moodle area from students.
How is user data transferred from Sisu and how is it shown in Moodle?
- The changes to the list of participants in Moodle, which have been enrolled in Sisu, are made in Sisu (see Registration in Sisu). The changes are transferred to Moodle area every two hours.
- When there is a participant in Moodle with the role synced, the person has been transferred from Sisu to Moodle. The roles are displayed in Moodle under Participants (in the left navigation block).
- The teachers of the Sisu implementation are transferred to Moodle with the roles teacher and synced.
- If an officer creates a Moodle area on a course page, they will also be added to Moodle with the roles teacher and synced.
- The students (confirmed enrolment) of the Sisu implementation are transferred to Moodle with the roles student and synced.
- If there is a student in the Moodle area with the role synced and the status is suspended, it means the student enrolment has been rejected, discontinued or deleted from Sisu. In this case, the student cannot access the Moodle area. There is a small delay in updating the status from Sisu to Moodle.
- If the student’s enrolment is rejected, discontinued or deleted from Sisu, the role of student will be removed from the student in Moodle and their status will change to suspended in the next synchronization on a Moodle area which is open for students.
- If the student only has the role synced in Moodle, it is a Moodle area that has not yet been opened to students, and a student's registration has been cancelled, rejected, suspended or removed from Sisu. Suspended status only appears when the Moodle area is opened for students. In this case, the student cannot access the Moodle area.
- If there is a user in the Moodle area with only the role student, it means the student has either used self enrolment or the teacher has added them to the Moodle area directly. This student has no enrolment information in Sisu for that implementation.
- The teacher can also add participants to the Moodle area directly in Moodle (e.g. visiting lecturers with limited user accounts).
- Teachers deleted from Sisu are not deleted from Moodle.
- The automatic synchronisation of enrolments from Sisu to Moodle ends one year after the end of the course. The status of the participant list will then remain in the Moodle area to what it was then.
Frequently asked questions
I want to open a Moodle area connected to Sisu to students before their enrolments are confirmed in Sisu
- Add a self-registration to the Moodle area, but be sure to inform students of any enrolment key.
In the future you might consider:
- If you're using the standard enrolment in Sisu, close the enrolment early enough.
- Change the enrolment for continuous enrolment in Sisu (enrolment with direct confirmation).
- Or order a Moodle area with a form and configure students to self-register, in which case the Moodle area is not linked to Sisu.
I want to combine two Sisu implementations into one Moodle area created from course pages
- Students from two or more different Sisu implementations / course pages cannot be connected to the same Moodle area. So you can only sync students from one Sisu implementation / course page to one Moodle area.
- If students from more than one Sisu implementation / course page are wanted for the same Moodle area, students from another implementation must be directed to the Moodle area by self-registration or added manually.
- To add a Moodle area link to a course page of a non-synchronised course, copy the link to the synchronised Moodle area. If you use an enrolment key for self-registration, also add it to the information to the Moodle link on the course page.
- Note that only the grades of synchronised students can be exported directly from Moodle to Sisu - the grades of other students must be exported to Sisu manually or using the Sisu converter, see Instruction for teaching: Exporting grades from Moodle to Sisu.
I want to combine two Moodle areas for one Sisu implementation / course page
- Students from two or more different Moodle areas cannot be connected to the same Sisu implementation. So you can only sync students from one Sisu implementation / course page to tone Moodle area.
- On the course page, you can also tell links to other Moodle areas.
- In the future, it is worth considering whether it would be necessary to make own implementations in Sisu for each required Moodle area.
Possible problems and their solutions
|There are only teachers in the Moodle area, students are not visible even if they are enrolled in Sisu.||Student enrolments have not yet been connfirmed in Sisu. Only students with confirmed enrolments will be synced to the Moodle area.||After students enrolments are confirmed in Sisu, they will sync to the Moodle area within two hours. If students need to access the Moodle area earlier, you can add self-registration to the Moodle area and provide the enrolment key to the students.|
|The teacher deletes a student from the Moodle area but the student will soon appear there again.||The student is still enrolled for the course in Sisu. The student role is restored to Moodle along the next synchronisation.||The student enrolment must be cancelled or deleted in Sisu. With the next synchronisation, the student’s role student is automatically deleted and status is changed to suspended in Moodle. The enrolments are managed in Sisu.|
|The teacher adds the student role to the student in the Moodle area and changes the status to active, but soon the role is removed and the status changed to suspended.||Student enrolment has been cancelled or deleted in Sisu. During synchronisation every two hours, the student role is removed and the status is set to suspended.||Student registration must be verified in Sisu. With the next synchronization, the student role is added to the student and the status is changed to active. Participants are thus managed in Sisu.|
|Students from the previous academic year are still in the Moodle area.||The Moodle area of the previous academic year has been used again for the current course.||A new Moodle area must be ordered for each new course if you want to synchronise students between Sisu and Moodle. If the course is already running, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org|
|There are a lot of students with the status suspended. How do I remove them from the participation list in the Moodle area?||Student enrolments have either been cancelled or removed in Sisu, removing the student role for students and the status being suspended in the Moodle area.||The teacher can remove these participants from the list of participants in the Moodle area. This should be done after there are no changes to enrolments.|