Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.5. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Badges settings.
Individual user settings
- A user can manage badges from Navigation>My profile>My badges.
- A user can view available course badges from Navigation>Current course>Badges.
Course administration settings
- A teacher can add and manage badges in their course if the administrator has enabled course badges in Administration>Site administration>Badges settings.
- They will see a link to badges in Administration>Course administration>Badges. where badges may be managed and added.
Site administration settings
- Badges are enabled by default and can be disabled in Administration>Site administration>Advanced features. (Note that disabling the feature once badges have been awarded does not prevent those badges being verified by external backpacks.)
- The site settings for badges are located in Administration>Site administration>Badges>Badges settings
Default badge issuer
Here you set the name and email address of the issuer. The name will appear where the badges are displayed and might typically be the name of the organization.
Salt for hashing recipient's email address
If a hash is used (numbers and letters only) then backpack services can confirm a badge earner without exposing their email address.
Enable connection to external backpacks
This should be enabled in order to connect to, for example Mozilla Open Badges. Note that this will not work on a Moodle hosted locally/offline.
Enable course badges
Ticking this box will allow teachers to add and manage badges in their courses.
There are a number of capabilities associated with badges:
- Add a new My latest badges block
- Add a new My latest badges block to My home
- Award a badge
- Set up criteria for awarding a badge
- Set up and edit badge details
- Configure badges messages
- Create or duplicate badges
- Delete badges
- Earn badges
- Manage badges site administration settings
- View and manage your own earned badges
- View users who earned a specific badge without being able to award a badge
- View badges without earning them
- View public badges in other users' profiles
NOTE: When upgrading to 2.5.1 from 2.5.0 there are some permissions for Administrators to check/set. See the section 'Upgrading from Moodle 2.5 to 2.5.1 or later' in Upgrading.