Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Badges settings.
Individual user settings
- A user can manage badges from Navigation>My profile>My badges.
- A user can view available course badges from Navigation>Current course>Badges.
Viewing the badges of other users
- A student can view other students' course badges by going to Navigation>Participants and clicking on the course profile of a chosen user. Badges are visible in the short (course) profile.
Course administration settings
- A teacher can add and manage badges in their course if the administrator has enabled course badges in Administration>Site administration>Badges settings.
- They will see a link to badges in Administration>Course administration>Badges. where badges may be managed and added.
Site administration settings
- Badges are enabled by default and can be disabled in 'Advanced features' in the Site administration. (Note that disabling the feature once badges have been awarded does not prevent those badges being verified by external backpacks.)
- The site settings for badges are located in 'Badges settings in the Site administration.
Default badge issuer
Here you set the name and email address of the issuer. The name will appear where the badges are displayed and might typically be the name of the organization.
Salt for hashing recipient's email address
If a hash is used (numbers and letters only) then backpack services can confirm a badge earner without exposing their email address.
Enable connection to external backpacks
Connecting to a backpack lets you display external badges within this site and push badges earned here to your backpack. Currently, only the Mozilla Open Badges Backpack is supported.
You need to sign up for a backpack service before trying to set up a backpack connection.
When you enter your email address in the Backpack Settings page in Moodle, a verification email will be sent to you. You must click on the verification link in the email to activate your Backpack connection. After the backpack connection is successfully established, badges from your backpack can be displayed on your badges page and your profile page. ou can select collections of badges from your backpack that you would like to display in your profile.
Note that connecting to external backpacks will not work on a Moodle hosted locally/offline.
Important! - from November 2016 to March 2017, there was a problem with the External Backpack connection when the Persona service used to authenticate with the Open Badges backpack was shut down. The problem is now fixed in Moodle v3.1.6 and v3.2.3 onwards (see MDL-57429 for details). If you are using an earlier version of Moodle you will still have problems connecting to the Open Badges backpack as well as not being to see external badges or have the option to connect to an external account or push badges earned within Moodle to their backpack.
Enable course badges
Ticking this box will allow teachers to add and manage badges in their courses.
There are a number of capabilities associated with badges:
- Add a new My latest badges block
- Add a new My latest badges block to the dashboard
- Award a badge
- Set up criteria for awarding a badge
- Set up and edit badge details
- Configure badges messages
- Create or duplicate badges
- Delete badges
- Earn badges
- Manage badges site administration settings
- View and manage your own earned badges
- View users who earned a specific badge without being able to award a badge
- View badges without earning them
- View public badges in other users' profiles