Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.5. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Using badges.
This page is about how to add badges to a course or the site and how users can access their badges. For managing badges which have already been added, see Managing badges.
Adding a course badge
If course badges have been enabled in Administration > Site administration > Badges > Badges settings then a teacher can add badges from Administration > Course administration > Badges > Add a new badge.
Add a name and description and upload your badge here.
If you add the teacher name here, it will appear when the badge is displayed. An email address is optional.
Set a date here if the badge will cease to be valid after a certain date. Leave it to never if you want the badge to be permanently displayed.
- When the settings are saved, you are then taken to the Manage badges screen where you can decide the criteria for awarding the badge.
- For course badges, the criteria are: Manual completion by role; course completion and activity completion.
- When selecting Manual completion by role, you can choose the role you wish to award the badge, so for example a teacher could allow a non-editing teacher to award badges in the course.
- For badges to be awarded for course or activity completion, Completion tracking must be enabled in the site and the course.
- Once criteria have been set, you are returned to the Manage badges screen where you must "enable access" for the badge to be available:
Awarding the badge
Badges may be awarded manually from Administration > Course administration > Badges > Manage badges > Recipients and clicking the "Award badge" button.
For information on the Overview, Edit details, Message and Recipients tab, see Managing badges.
Tip: If your site has a large number of users, it's easier to search for email addresses than names.
Important Note: Currently once a badge has been issued it cannot be revoked. So make sure that you are giving a badge to the correct users!
Adding a site badge
- An administrator can add a site badge from Administration > Site administration > Badges > Add a new badge.
- While the settings are basically the same as for a teacher in a course, the criteria are slightly different because of the global nature of the badge. These are: manual issue by role; completing a set of courses or profile completion.
- In order to be able to award a site badge based on completing a set of courses, Completion tracking needs to be enabled in the site and courses.
- Once all criteria are set and badge creator is happy with badge details and settings, site users can start earning it. For users to be able to earn a badge, a badge creator/administrator needs to enable access to this badge on a badge overview page or "Manage badges" page (as shown on the picture).
- Normally badges are awarded to users automatically based on their actions in the system. The completion criteria of an active badge are re-calculated every time an event such as completion of a course or activity, or updating user profile happens. If a user has completed all necessary requirements they are issued a badge and sent an email notification.
Only badges with enabled access are available to users and can be earned!
- Custom Reports for Badges - Get some Here - forum post
- School demo example: Managing site badges (Log in with username: manager, password: moodle)
- School demo example: Managing course badges (Log in with username: teacher, password: moodle)
- School demo example: Viewing your own badges (Log in with username: student, password: moodle)
- Research Design Principles for Studying Learning with Digital Badges Re-mediating assessment blog post