Box.net APIv1 migration
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.4. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Box.net APIv1 migration.
Note: This page contains information for site administrators only.
Box.net API v2
Box.net API v1, which Moodle uses to interact with the Box.net repository and Box.net portfolio, is due to expire on 14 December 2013. It will be replaced by Box.net API v2. Two important consequences of the new API are:
- For Box.net repository users it will no longer be possible to create a shortcut/alias to a file stored in Box.net. Existing aliases will need to be converted to file copies by running the Box.net-alias-to-copy-conversion tool.
- The Moodle site must use HTTPS in order to access Box.net.
The Box.net-alias-to-copy-conversion tool
IMPORTANT: The Box.net-alias-to-copy-conversion tool must be used before 14 December 2013 to avoid data loss!
Administrators are advised to run the Box.net-alias-to-copy-conversion tool immediately after upgrading their site. It may be run
Either from within Moodle:
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Modules > Repositories > Manage repositories and click the settings link for Box.net
- Click the link to run the tool.
Or via a CLI script, found at /repository/boxnet/cli/migrationv1.php.
Please be aware that this tool could take several hours to run depending on the number of aliases and their size.
Continued use of the Box.net repository and portfolio
To continue using the Box.net repository and Box.net portfolio, the Moodle site must use HTTPS. Assuming this criterion is satisfied, after upgrading their site, administrators must reconfigure the Box.net repository and portfolio plugins as follows:
Box.net repository configuration
- Obtain a client ID and secret from Box.net
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Repositories > Manage Repositories
- Activate the Box.net repository by selecting 'Enable and visible' in the dropdown menu
- Configure each repository by entering the client ID and secret. Make sure you don't include any white space in the text boxes!
- Save changes
Box.net portfolio configuration
- Obtain a client ID and secret from Box.net (This step is not necessary if you have them already for the Box.net repository.)
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Portfolios > Manage Portfolios
- Activate the Box.net portfolio by selecting 'Enable and visible' in the dropdown menu
- Configure each portfolio by entering the client ID and secret
- Save changes