Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Reset course.
This allows you to empty a course of user data, while retaining the activities and other settings. Please be warned when choosing items you will delete your chosen user data from this course forever!
You can select which user data to remove at a granular level under the categories of General, Roles, Gradebook, Groups and Activity data.
How to Reset - step by step
- Log in and go to the course area you want to Reset (you need to have editing permissions on this)
- Resetting a given activity is irreversible, so ensure that you have taken a Backup of your area including the user data - this is a snapshot and can be reinstated if necessary
- In your area's Administration block, click on Reset
- Click any Show Advanced button to show all options for that category
- Make your selections based on the options (see below for more on these)
- Click the Reset button
- Return to your area and check that things are as you want them.
General Reset Options
You can set a new Course Start Date for the freshly reset course, delete all Calendar events, delete course log report data and delete all user notes attached to the course.
(Before you reset) You will need to make sure that you back up the information that you have within your course before you reset. When you back up the course make sure that you back it up with the user information. That way you will have a back up data on the ones that have taken your course before you reset it for another group or department. (Dewey Christian August 28, 2010 @ 2302)
Role Reset Options
These Role Reset options allow you to unenrol all users with a particular role within a course (e.g students) as well as remove all role overrides and role assignment specific to the course. This does not affect user role assignments outside the context of the course.
Gradebook Reset Options
The Gradebook reset options allow you to delete all gradebook items and categories and/or delete all recorded grades within the course. Note that these grades are still recorded against a user's account.
Group Reset Options
The Group reset options provides you with the ability to delete all groups created in the course and/or remove all users from any groups within the course. Moodle1.9
You can also delete all groupings created in the course and/or remove all users from any groupings within the course.
Activity Reset Options
Depending on the activities used within a course, you will be provided with the option to remove the user data associated with these learning objects. This includes responses to Choices, Quiz attempts, Feedback Responses, Forum posts (from selected Forum types), Glossary entries etc.
You can remove all attempts from all quizzes.
You can also specify a new course start date.
- Using Moodle New School Year - old classes forum discussion
- Roll courses forward
- Tracker issue [http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-7028 MDL-7028] - Course Reset fixing - meta
- How to implement Reset course functionality in your module (for developers).