Moodle 1.6 release notes
Release date: 19th June 2006
NOTE: Moodle 1.6 requires PHP 4.3.0 (or PHP 5.1.0) and MySQL 4.1.16 (4.1.12 if you use latin languages only). Here is more info on Upgrading to Moodle 1.6.
- Moodle is now 100% Unicode, which means any language can be mixed together and an end to a number of problems that different character sets caused us.
- A new one-stop wiki site for ALL Moodle documentation, including links from Moodle itself
- A new activity module that allows collaborative collection of structured data, useful for many things!
- Integrated via a course format and an activity module
- Allows reflection on an ongoing basis. Entries are marked and can be viewed by user, course, group, site etc. Contains first new support for Tags.
- All reports are now centralised under Course reports and Admin reports. New reports can be written as plugins and dropped in very easily. One big new report is the new course-based statistics system from Catalyst.
- A centralized bank of questions with the potential to be (re-)used in a variety of modules.
- A dashboard interface that allows an overview for each user of all their courses etc.
- This initial integration with Hive allows teachers to upload, browse, search and select resources within the external repository.
- Users can be part of multiple groups within a course
- IMS content package resource type
- Supports the loading of any content package as a resource, with an optional repository for sharing packages between courses.
- An interactive Moodle theme
- Moodle's enrolment plugins can be used simultaneously on the same site. Also new IMS Enterprise enrolment plugin.
- Authorize.net Payment Gateway enrolment plugin
- New feature called 'Order Review'. Admins and teachers may accept or deny payments before processing the credit card and they can also refund payments after processing the credit card in 'Payment Management' page. Students may view their order details. Address Verification System (AVS) and Scheduled-Capture support added. For 'Manual-Capture' admins are notified 5 days prior to pending orders expiring.
Release date: 20th July 2006
- Fixed regression in Turkish locale handling
- Authorize and Paypal enrolment plugin cleanup
- Fixed serious problem with failing Database restore
- Fixed restore of HotPot module containing attempts
- Minor Database module fixes
- National characters in graphs now work for most languages out of the box
- Reviewed and fixed all *nix locale codes in language packs
- Fixed problems when using Resources with Blocks on the front page
- Fixed missing events on the first day of month in calendar
- Fixed several problems in Lesson - scores, branch tables, HTML editor issues
- Fixed broken intermodule relinking of absolute paths - please do not use course backups from original 1.6
- PDF byteserving problems caused by incorrect partial content length solved
- Fixed several regressions in handling of multiple groups
- Fixed alphabet problems in Glossary
- Chameleon theme fixes and enhancements
- Fixed all hard coded admin paths
- Fixed moving of course sections
- Fixed grading of Essays in Quiz
- Several Quiz regrading problems solved
- Questions are now exported into backupdata directory
- Added workaround for problems when editing two quizzes in one browser
- Lots of other Quiz related bugs fixed - thanks Tim!
- Fixed IE insecure items warning on sites with https login
- Improved cookie test on the login page
- Potential security issue with unzipping maliciously-crafted zip files fixed
- Sanitized input parameters in help.php
- Calendar view.php now respects forcelogin setting
- And lots of other minor fixes worth upgrading
- Enhanced frontpage settings - front page can now be different for logged in users, changed category list display
- Improved administration page layout
- Possibility to change graph font for all locales - moodledata/lang/default.ttf takes precedence over lib/default.ttf
- Local language packs may also contain default.ttf
- Backported improved lang.php from HEAD
- New config.php option $CFG->allowvisiblecoursesinhiddencategories
- Broken images in published question categories
- Small number of sites reports problems with Quiz upgrade - please always do a full database backup before any upgrade!
- Workshop backup/restore and Workshop import from other course not supported
- Additional feature 'Sidebar Block' uses section 1000, but 1000 is not included in the backup
- Third party modules should be already updated for 1.6.x - you must install new versions before UTF-8 migration!
- New integration of phpMyAdmin available - fixes upstream security problems and compatibility with PHP 5
Release date: 12th September 2006
- Fixed handling of uploaded files in Database module
- Module instance id is now properly validated when creating course module object; developers should use get_coursemodule_from_id() to get valid $cm
- Default error reporting level was lowered to 5, E_WARNINGs are no longer displayed on production sites with debug off.
- Multiple problems leading to information leakage fixed in help.php file
- Fixed information leakage from scheduled backups
- Added basic detection of dataroot accessible from Internet, web installer now better suggests dataroot location outside of web file area
- Swf is now disabled by default in Mediaplugin
- forgot_password.php does not allow remote email or username enumeration by default, the old behavior can be enabled by setting protectusernames to No in site configuration
- Undisclosed SQL injections fixed by automatic data conversions in adodb layer
- Theoretical XSS problems fixed in doc/index.php and files/index.php scripts
- Access to tex and algebra files is blocked when filters are disabled
- Request for redirection in jumpto.php protected with sesskey
- Fixed error when upgrading forum read tracking
- Locales from language packs should finally work - please check your configuration variables and empty the locale field
- Added missing link for course request
- Fixed several glossary problems with non-ascii characters
- Fixed bug where you could not regrade a quiz question where the teacher had added a comment with a ' character.
- Quiz import of BlackBoard V6 files now much more reliable
- Fixed scheduled backups - they were broken in 1.6 and 1.6.1
- Fixed missing guest icons from course listing
- Database sessions respect sessiontimeout setting
- Fixed redirect problems during upgrade resulting in "Table xxx already exists"
- Lesson module: the "(Continue)" no longer displays for 3 seconds after branch tables.
- Lesson module: now properly checks import formats for support.
- Lesson module: feedback is set properly during the import process.
- and many other smaller fixes
- Authorize.net Payment Gateway: Auto configures credit card types if the merchant does not accept some types of credit cards
- Broken images in published question categories
Release date: 10th October 2006
- A vulnerability was discovered that could allow SQL injections if a parameter was improperly used. Full details of this particular issue are on the Moodle Security site. All registered Moodle admins were notified by direct email on Saturday September 30th.
General Bugs Fixed
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-3048 MDL-3048] ] - Release note should note not to use some PHP versions
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-3805 MDL-3805] ] - mod.html in NEWMODULE.zip is not XHTML1.0 Transitional compliant
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5378 MDL-5378] ] - shorten_text doesn't work for oriental languages
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5601 MDL-5601] ] - cloze question restore error problem
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5884 MDL-5884] ] - Turn Student View On
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5893 MDL-5893] ] - Blackboard export/backup course does not restore to Moodle correctly
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6084 MDL-6084] ] - Restore to new course failure notice if logged in as course creator
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6128 MDL-6128] ] - 1.6, special chars and messaging system.
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6193 MDL-6193] ] - problem with login/index.php file
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6205 MDL-6205] ] - slashes not stripped when re-editing profile
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6224 MDL-6224] ] - Syntax error creating tables on install
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6247 MDL-6247] ] - Error checking for missing themes
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6271 MDL-6271] ] - breadcrumb problem
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6272 MDL-6272] ] - DB Enrolment not recording enrolment end date
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6334 MDL-6334] ] - Unnecessary group menu in Feedback popup window
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6336 MDL-6336] ] - After utf8-migration unserializing of old essay fails
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6341 MDL-6341] ] - "Student view" locks out designers/administrators from courses not available to students
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6342 MDL-6342] ] - cannot move forum post to other forum when the subject includes an apostrophe
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6363 MDL-6363] ] - typo in mod/forum/restorelib.php prevents grouped discussions from being accessible to group after a restore.
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6375 MDL-6375] ] - Uploaded assignments are not available from the student submission page once graded
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6480 MDL-6480] ] - Import of multichoice questions in Moodle XML format doesn't use shuffle option. Fix included
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6517 MDL-6517] ] - Adding or editing post produces "ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "Object id #XXX"
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6518 MDL-6518] ] - How to make new themes link no longer required
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6521 MDL-6521] ] - Single discussion forums can be splitted and it hasn't too much sense....
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6537 MDL-6537] ] - past students receive email from forum
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6538 MDL-6538] ] - Bug in hotpot upgrade script 1.6.1 -> 1.6.2 with MetaColumns() method
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6615 MDL-6615] ] - Highlighting search terms in forum search text posts fails
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6632 MDL-6632] ] - scorm_grade_user function in locallib.php file has errors
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6649 MDL-6649] ] - HTML Editor in Quiz Essay Question unreliable
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6686 MDL-6686] ] - Streamed Chat Locks Send Message Field
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6750 MDL-6750] ] - change_password.php produces JS error.
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6754 MDL-6754] ] - moodle.php in de_utf8 langpack has wrong locale
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6757 MDL-6757] ] - Insert a Chinese charachter string to label resource result error.
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6770 MDL-6770] ] - Student cannot see handed-in assignment
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6791 MDL-6791] ] - Streamed Chat JS bug Prevents Use
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6824 MDL-6824] ] - redundant style declaration in theme
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6837 MDL-6837] ] - Make a language file entry for the wording of popup blocker checker
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6841 MDL-6841] ] - Student View button fails when course is hidden to students
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6842 MDL-6842] ] - Resource frameset error in IE6
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6866 MDL-6866] ] - A required parameter (backup_unique_code) was missing" error
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6876 MDL-6876] ] - Grades computed incorrectly if assignment name appears more than twice in a course
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6280 MDL-6280] ] - Backup files should not be included in new backups
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6572 MDL-6572] ] - Allow students to access their uploaded documents after grading.
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6662 MDL-6662] ] - why footer with margin-top: 100px
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6878 MDL-6878] ] - Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) files in Moodle are not correctly displayed in many Browsers
- [ [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5653 MDL-5653] ] - add blacklisted level into environment XML
Release date: 17th January 2007
Release date: 30th March 2007
- Unintended logouts are now prevented - sesskey added to logout.php script
- Fixed old problem with approvals in Data module, edited entries were approved automatically
- Fixed escaping in shell commands (Win32 platform only)
- Rewritten parameter handling in repository plugin
- Fixed XSS in login block
Release date: 11th January 2008
Release date: 11th July 2008
Release date: 15th October 2008
Release date: 28th January 2009
Note: This is the last formal release of the 1.6 branch. Support for this branch has been discontinued. We highly recommend you upgrade!