Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Derek Chirnside.
Moodle is yet to realy get a few basics- in my view anyway. What follows is a list, just to help keep things clear in my own mind.
- 1 A PERSONAL WISH LIST
- 1.1 Admin: e-mail admin when manual account created by someone
- 1.2 Admin: Bulk course create/delete with CSV
- 1.3 Bulk delete, add, indent of items
- 1.4 Teacher: Notification of first time visits/enrolment in a course
- 1.5 Admin: Notification of new self registrations
- 1.6 Teach: E-mail to course members
- 1.7 Teach: Provide a quick 1<>1 forum/dialogue in core Moodle
- 1.8 Groups: Self enrolment
- 1.9 Blogs: blogs visible at course level only
- 2 IN PROCESSING
- 3 DONE
- 4 THE MOODLE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
A PERSONAL WISH LIST
Admin: e-mail admin when manual account created by someone
If you create an account, then you have to send a second message to tell the user of the account information. Needed: e-mail sent to user on manual account creation with their account details. There is debate over the best way to communicate this information.
- Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19390
- Discussion with code: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=85333
- Docs: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Manual_accounts
Also: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19851 :Messaging: Allow for personalization of message by using ##field## similar to database or [[filtertext]]" WORK AROUNDS: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=198617
Admin: Bulk course create/delete with CSV
- Tracker item with code: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13114
- Contrib code (deleting): http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-605
Bulk delete, add, indent of items
Tracker item with code: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-20213
Teacher: Notification of first time visits/enrolment in a course
Two separate issues:
- Notification of first tme visits to a course
- Notification of when a student self enrols in a course.
If we had (1), (2) would betaken care of.
- Tracker item: Generate Email Notification to Teachers upon Student Enrollment in a Course http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-20647
- Tracker item with code: Notify self-enrol by email http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-20290
- Wrk around using groups
Admin: Notification of new self registrations
- Forum Post: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=198617
- Forum Post: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=120482
Teach: E-mail to course members
Override forum setting. "Send this post out to everyone regardless of Forum Setting"
- Tracker item:
- Form Posts:
Teach: Provide a quick 1<>1 forum/dialogue in core Moodle
Tracker: Convenience/usability: provide a simple way to provide teachers a 1<>1 conference, journal, conversation, dialogue forum with students. http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27223 Similar idea: Autocreate a group for each student in the course and the group name set to the first and last name http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21000
Groups: Self enrolment
Rationale: for a student centred/constructivist LMS to have no self signup for groups is a bit of a pity.
- Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13962
- Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1310
- Forum posts:
Blogs: blogs visible at course level only
Blogs have only three levels of visibility: private, inside Moodle, World. There is no way to make them visible to course only.
- Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25347
- Forum: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=169325
- OU Blogs:
Groups: CSV creation of cohorts
Tracker: Add ability to upload to a cohort via Upload users http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-26965
Reports in Moodle 2+
Ideally there needs to be some more reporting in Moodle 2.
Admin: Cloning items
- http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=21234&parent=102367 (Old: 2005)
- http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=67185#p450794 (2007)
Groups: Site wide groups
Now called cohorts
THE MOODLE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
Just some thoughts, largley unfinished at the moment - "We aim for a transparent and open development process that invites the whole user community to contribute. We welcome PHP programmers of course, but you can also contribute through discussions, testing, feedback and documentation" - from http://moodle.org/development/
- The process: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Process (This is the latest version, there are others)
- Slightly orphaned talk Page: https://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Development_talk:Process
- Discussion on the process: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=174082
The process is still bedding down at the moment, and various developers have their perspectives: the phrases "I hope", "I'd like" and "Maybe" appear regularly in substantive discussions. I'm not convinced that it is working well at the moment. I'm sure it can be improved.
To be continued.