Installations 1000 plus
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.0. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Installations 1000 plus.
This page has descriptions and links by country to Moodle sites with between 1000 and 5000 users.
- Monte Sant' Angelo Mercy College - MonteNet is used as our colleges student intranet and e-learning portal. Currently running 1.6dev with a few extra custom features thrown in.
- Monte Sant' Angelo Mercy College - Compass takes moodle and uses it for a purpose that is a little outside the square. Compass is used as the staff intranet. Each course is refered to as a "Space" and is used by each departmentr to store meating minutes, agendas and teaching documentation. Communications tools such as forums allow to facilitate better teacher communication and the events are used to keep the teachers events online and targeted (e.g. year 9 teachers all know when excursions are on, all english teachers know when reports are due, etc).
- Vermont Secondary College -  is used as the college intranet, portal and eLearning since 2004. There are approximately 1500 users consisting of teachers and years 7-12 students. Although using Moodle is an option, over 180 courses have been created across all learning areas and staff administration. All events within the college are constantly being added to the calendar to inform the school community.
- Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview -  - Jesuit College in Sydney, Australia, with 1,600 students. Adopted Moodle in 2007.
- Sint-Ritacollege We are a school for 12-18 year old students. Currently our database contains about 1600 active users and 130 courses. Always running latest Moodle code since version 1.0.8.
- IES de TERRASSA - MOODLE de l'IES de TERRASSA - Institut d'Enseyament Secundari de Terrassa. Tenim més de 1300 usuaris.
- Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University, Brno - ELF, 16,000+ users total, 4,000+ active users in Spring Term 2006, 600+ courses; using Moodle from April 2003.
- Faculty of Education, Masaryk University, Brno - Mood-link-a, 23,000+ users total, 3,400+ active users in Spring Term 2011, 900+ total enrollable courses, 220 courses updated within last year; using Moodle from 2004, currently 1.8.x with Shibboleth SSO.
- Tampere Polytechnic or Tampereen ammattikorkeakoulu (www.tamk.fi), is a around 5000 student college or "a university of applied sciences" located at Tampere, Finland. Our moodle installation hosts around 2500 active students.
- DOEACCMantra is a website for DOEACC students currently (as of July 2007) having 44 courses, 4928 users and 5965 posts.
- University of Rome "Roma Tre" - Laboratorio di Tecnologie Audiovisive hosts two faculties with more than 3700 students. (April, 9th 2009)
- Realgymnasium Albert Einstein Meran - South Tyrol - A school with only 350 students, but the moodle installation hosted by it is used by severeal neighbour schools, so we have 1284 active users in 480 courses.
- Future University-Hakodate - 
- Kyoto Sangyo University -  First university in Japan to completely host all courses in Moodle.
- Osaka International University -  Over 3000 users.
- Sapporo Gakuin University -  About 40 active courses using Moodle, plus 150 courses using it for attendance taking. Over 3000 registered users. Now using LDAP, so all 5000 students can login with their standard school ID and password. 1000 students take an English placement test using Moodle upon entrance to the school.
- We are a 5000 people school, one server, 9 locations and using Moodle for almost three years now: https://studiewijzerplus.nl Every schoolyear we start again with counting the number of users and the automatic counter (thanks Penny!) is now pointing at 3103
- ASP Hedmark - pdl.asp-hedmark.no Region with 20 primary and lower-secondary schools have an installation with something above 2000 users. PDL=Platform for Digital Learning.
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (University) - distance education programme Management of Global Processes
- CICEI - Center of Innovation for the Information Society. We have a production Moodle server having currently 1,042 users in 72 courses covering a wide range of applications (as of February 6, 2006).
- Centre fri-tic - Center for ICT Integration of Canton de Fribourg. Currently running 1 moodle for teachers and students from k-12 to High school, with more than 2000 users and about 130 courses. The Centre fri-tic is also hosting 9 other moodle installations for specific schools.
- Alton College - a Beacon sixth form college with over 2,500 active users.
- Egglescliffe School and Sixth Form - a specialist arts school with over 2,000 active moodlers and 345 courses whose usage was the basis of this Guardian article
- Gloucestershire College - a general FE college in the south west, with nearly five thousand users and nearly eight hundred users, we have presented at many Moodle events in the UK.
- Goldsmiths College, London - over 2,500 active users. See also this presentation at a 2004 conference.
- Plumstead Manor School - A specialist Sports, Performing arts and Vocational secondary school in South East London. 1,700 active students.
- Thanet College - a "medium sized general FE college", using Moodle as documented in this Ferl case study
- West Nottingahmshire College - an FE college in the East Midlands.
- Prepare: Life in the United Kingdom Test - a free website dedicated to Life in the UK Test.
United States of America
- Glyphdoctors is a site with over 1200 registered users (as of Feb. 2006) on a shared server host, Open Source Host. It will offer online courses in Egyptology and Egyptian hieroglyphs to the general public. Currently, there is one free public course available and a course in Egyptian hieroglyphs under beta testing with a small number of students.
- McMurry Universityhas several Moodle instances, the first begun as a pilot project in June, 2005. McMurry is a small (1400 FTE) undergraduate-only institution affiliated with the United Methodist church. Currently the main instance supports 1700 users (650 active), some 60 instructors, and approximately 180 active courses.
- Aiken High Schoolhas over 2000 registered users in grades 9 - 12 (Feb. 2006).
- The Culver Academies has over 1000 registered users in grades 9 - 12. The school has been using Moodle in the classroom since the 2002-2003 school year. Administratively we have a Moodle "course" for faculty-only announcements and materials.
- Warner Southern College began using Moodle in early 2005 as an experiment to move from a simple webboard system into a full learning management system. The experiment went extremely well and a full transition to Moodle was accomplished in the fall term of 2005. Currently, Warner Southern College has one Moodle instance running with over 1200 registered users (500+ active students, 50+ instructors, 80+ courses and two system administrators) offering associate, bachelor and master of arts degree programs for both traditional site based and full online students. Warner Southern College is a small institution affiliated with the Church of God and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- West Shore Community College currently has just under 2,000 registered users in its database and began as a potential alternative to our Blackboard system. Our site has been active for 3 years and we are now fully migrated to Moodle as our sole LMS. The transition was slow (and a bit painful at times), but now that we're here, things have gone quite well.
- The Evergreen State College has over 4,000 registered users. The school has been using Moodle in since the 2005-2006 school year. We use CAS for authentication and get enrollment from Banner via a custom interface built on Banner and a customized version of the Moodle IMS plugin.