How do I prevent students from enrolling themselves in a course?
- If you are a teacher in a course, go to Settings>users>enrolment methods and disable (close the eye) of the self-enrolment option.
- If you are site admin, go to Settings>Site administration>plugins>manage enrol plugins and disable (close the eye) of the self enrolment plugin.
Why can I not add a cohort to my course? (I know there is one!)
Only admins and managers have the right to add a cohort, so a regular teacher will not see "cohort sync" in the dropdown in Settings>users>enrolment methods; nor will they see the "Enrol cohort" button in Settings>users>enrolled users. For more information on the capabilities involved,see Cohorts
Why are users being unenrolled for no apparent reason?
- In a course, go to Settings>users>enrolled methods and click the edit (hand/pen)icon of the self-enrolment option. Check the time in the dropdown next to Unenrol active after...
(See Unenrolment for a full list of what controls unenrolment.)
- As a site administrator, you can specify the default time after which a user is unenrolled in Settings>Site administration>plugins>enrolments>Self enrolment
Why are all students enrolled in all courses?
If the default role for all users in Site Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies is set to student rather than authenticated user (the default setting), this will result in all students being enrolled in all courses.
Another possibility is that users are assigned the system role of student. Check Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Assign system roles and unassign users as necessary, then reassign them the role of student in the course context.
How do I enable students to unenrol themselves from courses?
To enable students to unenrol themselves from any course:
- Access Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles.
- Click the edit icon opposite the student role.
- Change any/all of the capabilities enrol/authorize:unenrolself, enrol/manual:unenrolself, enrol/paypal:unenrolself and enrol/self:unenrolself (depending upon which enrolment plugins are enabled for the site) from not set to allow.
- Click the "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page.
See Unenrolment for instructions on how to enable students to unenrol themselves from a particular course.
How do I change the spelling of "enrol" to "enroll"?
Simply install the American English language pack (en_us) then choose it as the default language for the site. Or edit your language settings.
When a student self-enrols, they get a welcome email message. Can a teacher customise this at the course level?
- Yes. In the course, go to Settings>users>enrolment methods and click the edit (hand/pen)icon of Self enrolment. At the bottom of this screen is a box where you can customise the message for your course.
How can the course welcome message be disabled?
- In a course, you can disable the message by clicking on Settings>users>enrolment methods Click the edit (hand/pen) icon to the right of Self enrolment. Remove the tick from "Send course welcome message".
- The message can be disabled throughout Moodle by the site admin via Settings>Site administration>plugins>enrolments>Self enrolment.
Why does my course have lots of duplicated guest access settings?
This is a bug with courses which have been restored. It seems that each time they are restored, extra guest access settings appear. It doesn't appear to affect use of the course however. The tracker entry is here if you would like to vote for it to be fixed.
- Using Moodle Enrolment plugins forum
Using Moodle forum discussions: