Windows Installer anywhere
|Warning: This page is no longer in use. The information contained on the page should NOT be seen as relevant or reliable.|
The Moodle Anywhere is an application pack, which enables users to run Moodle as a stand alone portable variant, in Microsoft Windows Operation System. The package is designed to suit requirements of Moodle content developers and trainers. This variant can also be run without having to access Moodle servers via Internet.
It also has the following novel features, which are not incorporated in other Moodle based standalone versions:
- Compared other applications, Moodle Anywhere is simple and user-friendly.
- Simple installation procedure.
- The application pack can be made compatible to the Moodle version in your online
server, by simply copying the version folder to you pen-drive.
- Compatible with any computer running Microsoft Windows Operation Systems.
- The application is transferable from computer to computer,
computer to USB or USB to Computer.
The Moodle variation based on Moodle Windowns package URL: http://download.moodle.org/windows/
Download MoodleAnyWhere as zip file from
- Administration permitted login to Microsoft Windows Operating Systems: XP or Vista
- 300MB storage space
- Minimum 128 MB RAM space
- Unzip the application pack to sub-directory located in your PC or thumb drive.
- Click Moodle Start Icon , which starts up the application.
- Log-out from Moodle application.
- Double-click the server icon located on the Task-Bar on you PC to terminate the application.
Moodle Version Up-date
- Download required updated version of Windows Moodle from official Moodle site at http://download.moodle.org/windows/ [Example path C:/ ] Decompress this file at the same location.
- Download AMPstart.exe from http://www.ampstart.com to Moodle sub directory in decompressed application folder( Example C:\moodle\moodle).
- Click AMPstart.exe to start the Moodle Environment. This will automatically start the Moodle Installation Wizard.
- Continues the wizard by default setting
- Change only the ‘Username’ and ‘New password’ in the Moodle Installation Account Details.
# open config.php file in Moodle sub folder (c:/Moodle/Moodle/config.php) and change the following two lines by commenting using two back slashes (i.e. //) at the beginning of each line.
//$CFG->dirroot = 'D:\moodle\server\moodle'; //$CFG->dataroot = 'D:\moodle\server/moodledata';
- Add following two lines after the two commented lines
$CFG->dirroot = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']; $CFG->dataroot = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/moodledata';
- Save the config.php file; run AMPstart.exe file
- Moodle anywhere is now ready for execution; hence you could copy the sub-directory to your USB drive or to any other sub-directory in your hard-disk.
1. Problem: Moodle does not start? Reasons:
- Check whether you have the administrator permission to run this software
in your computer; if not seek assistance from your systems administrator.
- Check whether any other web server is running on your system
(browse http://localhost); if so stop such applications.
Administrator's login information of the demo ?
User ID:admin Password:admin
We need your/community help for continuation of this project!
Some useful forum:
[Moodle Anywhere - Installation Problem (Vista O/S)] http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=148964 https://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle_on_Windows_Vista
The package is based on Moodle Windows packadge and AMPstart
Note: Developer: Harsha Balasooriya(firstname.lastname@example.org) Open University of Sri Lanka. Significant assistance for the MoodleAnywhere was facilitated by Distance Education Modernisation Project (DEMP) of Ministry of Higher Education of Sri Lanka