Setting up development environment
This content of this page has been updated and migrated to the new Moodle Developer Resources. The information contained on the page should no longer be seen up-to-date.
Why not view this page on the new site and help us to migrate more content to the new site!
This is a quick guide which contains all the tools you'll need to configure your development environment:
Apache + PHP
- Depending on your computer's OS:
- Extensions and libraries
- Enable SSL for Apache (Transitioning to HTTPS)
More information: Category:Installation
- PostgreSQL (recommended)
- MariaDB (recommended)
- Oracle (not recommended)
Moodle Development Kit (MDK)
Only for Linux and MacOS (not available for Windows)
- Sample to create some instances (both based on master, first using PostgreSQL and second MySQL:
mdk create --install --engine pgsql --run mindev users makecourse mdk create --install --engine mysqli --run mindev users makecourse -n stable_master-mysql
- GoogleChrome driver (Firefox stopped working)
To view logs in real time on linux based machines you can use at the command line : # tail - f
Example: # tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log
By viewing logs in real time you will find it easier to correlate actions and errors.
- Ngrok, for getting your dev/private site publicly available (for sharing, for testing various integrations requiring public site, SSL or no...)
- Use authtoken for better experience
- MDK integration