Note: this is a work in progress to create a high-level overview of the MoodleNet project. For more granular detail, please check out the milestones in our GitLab issue tracker.
In this phase, we researched our options and came up with a high-level goal for a platform that will be of immediate use to educators. This involved talking to a lot of educators and technologists, and looking to other platforms and services for inspiration.
This phase focused on planning how to achieve our high-level goal, deciding on the functionality it should have. We ran a design sprint to ensure we had a coherent plan focused on developing a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). We also hired Mayel, our Technical Architect to ensure that we make the correct technical decisions.
This phase was about iterating existing designs and approaches so we could be laser-focused on producing something of value to educators. We onboarded Ivan as our designer and front-end developer, and brought together the front-end and backend development work. We did some early testing around the sign-up process, and re-imagined it to ensure there's no blockers for testing.
We're scheduled to launch the first version of MoodleNet to a group of beta testers in January 2019. Our plan is to recruit around 100 existing Moodle users to test the platform, and rapidly iterate the platform based on their feedback. We'll then give them invites to share with friends and colleagues, meaning we grow organically and sustainably.
In addition, we will be working on testing federation so that MoodleNet instances can communicate with one another. This will involve setting up a HQ-run API-as-a-service, which also needs testing.
Once we've tested both the value proposition and federation, we'll double-down on fixing bugs and responding to user needs before opening registrations. During this quarter we aim to develop a plugin to allow users to send collections from MoodleNet to courses in Moodle Core.