IMS common cartridge
Moodle1.9 Moodle 2.0
What is Common Cartridge?
Common Cartridge is a specification that describes format for creating and sharing primarily educational digital content. The specification is developed by IMS Global Learning Consortium and describes in details the packaging format and infrastructure needed to support format for presenting it to the end-user. (See FAQ for more info especially What is Common Cartridge?)
Why Common Cartridge?
Common Cartridge solves two problems. The first is to provide a standard way to represent digital course materials for use in on-line learning systems so that such content can be developed in one format and used across a wide variety of learning systems (often referred to as course management systems, learning management systems, virtual learning environments, or instructional management systems). The second is to enable new publishing models for on-line course materials and digital books that are modular, web-distributed, interactive, and customizable. (cited from CC FAQ - http://www.imsglobal.org/cc/ccfaqs.html#2) We feel that it is important to support all efforts in on-line educational community and try to standardize content exchange format(s). That way we support openness of Moodle and increase possibility of interoperability with other LMS systems.
Based on initial discussions with Moodle developers general plan for implementing CC support is following:
- MDL-20591: Implement CC import in Moodle 1.9 - this is first step because Moodle 2.0 is still not ready for this kind of development. It will be done as experimental feature.
- Implement CC library in PHP for generating and manipulating CC packages.
- Implement CC export for Moodle 2.0 once CC library is done and new Backup system is finished
- Implement CC import for Moodle 2.0 once changes to the restore system are finished.
- Implement basic support for CC authorization.