DB layer 2.0
- Switch to prepared statements - using placeholders and preparing statements protects against sql injection
- Remove the need for data to be add/strip slashed all over the place in the code.
- Enable easier and productive unit tests.
- 100% cross-db
- OOP implementation:
- Full abstraction: Hide underlying libraries (adodb, pdo...) and drivers to Moodle developers completely.
- Make it so that the database object can be subclassed - this means for unit tests that want to test database access, the test framework can override necessary methods
- support ? and :param parameter types (independently of the param types supported by each driver).
- global $DB
- profiling, logging and exceptions
- Easy to use (consistent and similar to current dmllib 1.0)
- Easy to migrate (provide documentation and utilities to help on that)
- Complete unit testing (self)
- Easy unit testing (moodle - real and mockup)
- Well documented (PHPDocs + use examples)
- Tasks, bugs and progress tracked in MDL-14679
- Due date: June 24th 2008