External tool FAQ
What is the External tool?
The external tool is an activity module supporting LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability). It is similar to SCORM as a standard for educational objects, but instead of being a package of content that is uploaded to Moodle, LTI is a way of integrating the functionality provided by another system into your course.
How can I get my external tool activity to display on the Dashboard in the Course overview block?
Set an 'Expect completed by' date in the Activity completion section in the External tool settings.
What version of LTI is supported by the external tool?
LTI 1.3 Advantage
Moodle 3.7 added support for LTI 1.3 Advantage as a tool consumer, and the following releases have seen further improvements.
Moodle 3.10 adds support for copying courses with history, selecting multiple content items at once, and dynamic registration.
Adding LTI 1.3 Advantage tool provider support is on the roadmap for next releases.
LTI 1.1 Advantage
Moodle also supports LTI 1.1 as tool provider and consumer.
- Wordpress (Multisite) LTI 1.3 provider by Moodle partner 3iPunt.
- PressBook (wordpress) LTI 1.3 and LTI 1.1
- Wordpress and LTI tutorial by Chris Kenniburg (2012)
- IMS LTI demo by Gavin Henrick
- Moodle 2.2 will support connecting to IMS LTI tools blog post by Gavin Henrick
- Video explaining LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) from Charles Severance
Any further questions?
Please post in the LTI and Moodle forum on moodle.org