Moodle Workplace Release notes
This feature is part of Moodle Workplace, which is available through Moodle Partners.
This page contains release notes for Moodle Workplace releases.
See our Moodle Workplace 3.9.2 new features page in the user documentation for an introduction to Moodle Workplace 3.9.2 with screenshots.
- Shared Space enables easy sharing of entities across all tenants. It works like a special tenant where users can create supported entities to be available in other tenants.
- Shared Programs and Shared certifications: making use of the Shared Space, now it’s possible to share Programs and Certifications across all tenants.
- Tenants migration: now it’s possible to migrate whole tenants’ content and configuration using all the chained exporters and importers we introduced on the previous releases.
- Learning tab: this is a major change in the Workplace learner dashboard. Programs and Courses are not separated in different tabs anymore, with the new Learning tab all the learning entities are shown in the same tab. We took the opportunity to improve the UI as well.
- Course certificate: with this activity module now it’s possible to configure certificates at a course level. This certificate can be configured to be issued automatically when the activity is available without any user intervention.
See our Moodle Workplace 3.9.1 new features page in the user documentation for an introduction to Moodle Workplace 3.9.1 with screenshots.
- Migration feature. New exporters and importers:
- Direct reports Teams tab filter: added a new filter to made the teams tab only show people directly underneath the current user
- Added download options to system reports, such as Users list on the tenant management page
See our Moodle Workplace 3.9 new features page in the user documentation for an introduction to Moodle Workplace 3.9 with screenshots.
- Migration feature: this tool, through an intuitive step-by-step process, offers the capacity to export different parts of a Moodle Workplace instance and import them into the same or a different site.
- Exporters and Importers included in 3.9:
- Programs: definition, courses, user allocations and component dynamic rules.
- Certifications: definition, associated programs, courses, user allocations and component dynamic rules.
- Dynamic Rules: definition, conditions and actions,
- Organisation Structure (Jobs): jobs details with their associated department and position frameworks.
- Organisation Structure (Frameworks): department and position frameworks with the whole hierarchy for departments and/or positions.
- Courses using default course backup options.
- Command-line interactive interface for Migration
- Dynamic Rules additional capabilities check for each condition and action. Now we check users capabilities for each type of dynamic rules conditions and actions, enabling more granularity in Dynamic Rules permissions.
- Video conferencing with BigBlueButton, built-in in Workplace on MoodleCloud.
- Report Builder filter and condition for the current user: pre-filter any report to show only information related to the viewer.
- Improved course information modal: now users can access all the information about course in a program from the UI.
See our Moodle Workplace 3.8.2 new features page in the user documentation for an introduction to Moodle Workplace 3.8.2 with screenshots.
- Programs - addition to the Workplace Dashboard to allow users to search for their own programs
- Programs - improved programs list view on the Workplace Dashboard, with expandable courses information
- Report builder and Dynamic rules - Live Search is now available for Conditions and Actions on Dynamic Rules and for Entities and fields (Report Builder) on Report Builder
- Login page - new auth instructions redesign and addition of the language selector
- Report builder - Sort columns on click
- Report builder - Collapsable left container and
- Report builder - Preview and filter buttons redesigning
- Test coverage and performance improvements across all Workplace features
- Workplace testing environment for plugin developers now available
- Workplace launcher - an alternative view as a modal dialog box is now available (experimental)
- Auto-updating for restricted activities in Workplace list course format
- Fixed app link in Workplace footer
- Appointments - continued user interface polishing and improvements; new Report builder datasource to facilitate custom reporting; improvements to custom fields
- Certifications - new "Certification activity log" to show a users progress through an allocated certification
- Programs - addition to the Workplace Dashboard to allow users to filter their own programs
- Programs and Certifications - improvements to automatic Dynamic rules (clearer names, improved conditions, ability to set allocation start date in future); improved custom field support
- Improvements to the Tenant administrator role - the list of capabilities that can be granted to a tenant administrator is restricted to those capabilities that support Multi-tenancy as defined by the Workplace plugins. Manually assigning Workplace roles is no longer possible via the assign roles page to avoid confusion, however the list of allowed capabilities in these roles may be changed by the site administrator
- Improved performance when editing tenant theme settings - caches are now purged only for the relevant tenant, rather than for all
- Consistent configuration for setting limits for Tenants, Dynamic rules and Report builder
- Privacy API improvements
- Program reset - allows to reset a program and all courses it in for an individual user
- Recertification - allows to configure the workflow for regular recertification
- Audience in report builder allows to give granular access to individual reports
- Appointments - new module that allows to book face-to-face appointments between trainers and students in a course
- Certificates no longer belong to the tenants but instead can be created in course categories
- Sharing courses between tenants and using them in the programs
Important upgrade notes
Report builder changes
Organisation managers can no longer access the reports on their team by default. Instead, tenant administrators need to create new reports with the condition "Relation to report viewer" and set the "Audience" to include an organisation manager's job.
The Certificates plugin has been reworked to allow users to create certificates in course categories instead of binding them to tenants. This plugin will be made available in the future outside of Moodle Workplace.
The upgrade script will automatically unallocate the existing certificates from the tenants and allocate them to the respective course categories of the tenants. However if there was a tenant without a course category and with certificates, the administrator needs to fix it manually - create a category for the tenant and move the certificate(s) to this category.
Capability 'tool/certificate:verifyforalltenants' is removed and instead we have 'tool/certificate:verify' that will allow users to verify certificates for any tenant (by code).
Capability 'tool/certificate:issueforalltenants' is removed. Users with the capability 'tool/certificate:issue' can issue certificates to users from their tenant. If such user also has capabilities allowing him to view users from other tenants, they will be able to issue certificate to all users.
Capability 'tool/certificate:manageforalltenants' is removed. Instead, capability 'tool/certificate:manage' can be assigned in different contexts and will work on templates that are defined in the relevant contexts.
Capability 'tool/certificate:issue' can now be assigned in different contexts (system or course category). Users who have it can issue certificates that are defined in the same context (or lower).
Capability 'tool/certificate:imageforalltenants' is renamed to 'tool/certificate:image' - allows users to manage shared images.
Capability 'tool/certificate:viewallcertificates' can also be assigned in different contexts now. Similar to 'issue' capability, users will only see other users from the same tenant (unless they have additional capabilities that allow them to view users in other tenants)
The element type "Program" is now called "Dynamic rule data"
It is possible for site administrators to limit the amount of data related to a tenant for certain features:
- The number of tenants can be restricted by setting '$CFG->tool_tenant_tenantlimit = <VALUE>;' in your site configuration
- The number of custom reports can be restricted per site/tenant by setting '$CFG->tool_reportbuilder_sitelimit' and '$CFG->tool_reportbuilder_tenantlimit' respectively
- The number of dynamic rules can be restricted per site/tenant by setting '$CFG->tool_dynamicrule_sitelimit' and '$CFG->tool_dynamicrule_tenantlimit' respectively