Moodle app FAQ
- 1 New Moodle App Plans (starting 2 April 2020)
- 2 Students
- 2.1 How can I get the Moodle app?
- 2.2 I can't get the app to work. What do I do?
- 2.3 What permissions does the app require?
- 2.4 I can't see my course on the app. What do I do?
- 2.5 Why can't I upload my assignment on the app?
- 2.6 Why can't I sometimes access the app or submit anything to it?
- 2.7 Is there a space limit on my files?
- 2.8 Who should I contact for help with the app?
- 2.9 When are activities completed offline synchronized?
- 2.10 Why the site is asking for my username and password when an activity is opened in the browser?
- 2.11 I use LineageOS and I'm having problems using the app
- 3 Teachers
- 3.1 How can I enable videos in my course to be downloaded?
- 3.2 Video subtitles are not working
- 3.3 Which course format is it best to use?
- 3.4 How do I make YouTube links open automatically in the app?
- 3.5 Why can't my students see their courses?
- 3.6 I can't mark assignments in the app
- 3.7 What communications tools can I use in the app to engage with my learners?
- 3.8 My protected Vimeo videos are not playing in the app
- 3.9 ReCaptcha doesn't work on my site
- 3.10 H5P packages don't work on my site
- 3.11 I use a Moodle plugin but the app says it is not supported
- 3.12 I have problems playing SCORM packages
- 3.13 My quizzes or lessons are not working offline
- 3.14 Maths notation is not displaying correctly in the app
- 3.15 How can I disable text selection / copy in the app?
- 4 Administrators
- 4.1 How can I have my site listed in the Moodle app site finder?
- 4.2 How can I debug errors in the app?
- 4.3 I can connect with my iPhone but not with my Android phone
- 4.4 I can't get the app to work. What can I do?
- 4.5 I cannot access with old users, but I can with recently created ones!
- 4.6 I can't view the courses tab as an administrator
- 4.7 My Moodle site uses a SSO auth method (Shibboleth, CAS, Google OAuth, etc) and the app is not working
- 4.8 SSO is not working with my custom auth plugin
- 4.9 I am having problems requesting an airnotifier access key
- 4.10 Push notifications are not working
- 4.11 I configured 'QR code access' to automatic login, but the app still asks for credentials
- 4.12 Error messages
- 4.12.1 'Can not find data record in database table external_functions'
- 4.12.2 'Cannot connect: Verify that you have typed correctly the URL and that your site uses Moodle 2.4 or later'
- 4.12.3 'We lost connection; you need to reconnect. Your token is now invalid.' on my custom version of the Moodle app
- 4.12.4 'No permission to create web service token for the service local_mobile' when attempting to log in as an admin
- 4.12.5 'Invalid response value detected' when accessing the site
- 4.12.6 ' Invalid response value detected: Invalid external api response: the value is "", the server was expecting "raw" type"
- 4.12.7 'Invalid response value detected' when accessing My Courses or Course Overview
- 4.12.8 'A required parameter (username) was missing'
- 4.12.9 'Invalid json in request: No error'
- 4.12.10 'Cannot get course contents'
- 4.12.11 'Access control exception' or 'Your authentication token is invalid or has expired'
- 4.12.12 ipmismatch: 'Client IP address mismatch'
- 4.13 I think I found a bug with the app. Where can I report it?
- 4.14 How can I get the app in my language?
- 5 Any further questions?
New Moodle App Plans (starting 2 April 2020)
Please see the official FAQs in the Moodle Apps portal
How can I get the Moodle app?
The Moodle app is available for free from Google Play and the Apple Store. See Moodle app downloads for links. You can also install the app directly from your mobile device by searching for 'Moodle app' with author/owner 'Moodle Pty Ltd'.
I can't get the app to work. What do I do?
The Moodle app will ONLY work with Moodle sites that have been set up to allow it. Please talk to your Moodle administrator if you have any problems connecting.
What permissions does the app require?
The app requires the following permissions:
- Record audio - for uploading to your Moodle site
- Read and modify the contents of your SD card - for content to be downloaded to your SD Card for offline access.
- Network access - to be able to connect with your Moodle site and check if you are connected, and if not to switch to offline mode.
- Run at startup - to receive local notifications even when the app is running in the background.
- Prevent phone from sleeping - to receive push notifications anytime.
I can't see my course on the app. What do I do?
Check with your course tutor that you are correctly enrolled.
Why can't I upload my assignment on the app?
Check with your Moodle site administrator.
Why can't I sometimes access the app or submit anything to it?
This could be because of interruptions in your internet connection. Wait a while and try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your Moodle site administrator.
Is there a space limit on my files?
Assignments will have a size limit which you can see. For other space limit questions, check with your Moodle site administrator.
Who should I contact for help with the app?
Your Moodle site administrator can assist you in getting the app to work correctly.
When are activities completed offline synchronized?
Why the site is asking for my username and password when an activity is opened in the browser?
Auto-login from the app is only supported in sites using Moodle 3.2 onwards. Also, for security reasons, between auto-logins you must wait 6 minutes (this should not be a problem because most of the browsers will keep your Moodle session open).
I use LineageOS and I'm having problems using the app
LineageOS uses a different WebView implementation not compatible vith the app. You need to install "Android System WebView" from Google Play (or via a trusted apk) and enabling it via Settings > Developer options > WebView implementation.
How can I enable videos in my course to be downloaded?
See the section 'Media download for offline usage' in Creating Moodle-app-friendly courses.
Video subtitles are not working
This may happen in old Android versions (Android < 4.4), in modern Android and iOS versions they should work fine.
Which course format is it best to use?
Topics or weekly course format is best suited to mobile devices.
Add YouTube links as a URL resource.
Why can't my students see their courses?
If you or an administrator have correctly enrolled them in a course, they can see it in their mobile app. If they are correctly enrolled but can still not see their course, ask them to check with your Moodle site administrator.
I can't mark assignments in the app
If you are experiencing problems when grading, please review that you are using the correct decimal separators (if the app interface is in English, you must use a period).
What communications tools can I use in the app to engage with my learners?
See Mobile app notifications. Chat, forums and messaging are all supported by the app.
My protected Vimeo videos are not playing in the app
Vimeo protected videos should work on Moodle 3.3.4 onwards, please note that you need to enable this admin setting "Allow frame embedding" (allowframembedding admin setting). If that still doesn't work, make sure your server allows it by using this rule: X-Frame-Options "ALLOW-FROM *"You may also use Bootstrap responsive classes: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/utilities/embed/, for example,