Publish as LTI tool
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Publish as LTI tool.
Moodle as an LTI provider
The 'Publish as LTI tool' enrolment plugin, together with the LTI authentication plugin, allows remote users on a different site (known as an LTI consumer) to access selected courses and activities. In other words, Moodle functions as an LTI tool provider. Grades are sent back to the remote system. See the screencast Publish as LTI tool for a demonstration.
Enabling 'Publish as LTI tool' at site level
An administrator can enable the 'Publish as LTI tool' for use across the site:
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication and enable LTI
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins and enable 'Publish as LTI tool'
It is recommended that the site administration setting 'Allow frame embedding' is enabled (in "Site Administration > Security > HTTP security") so that tools are displayed within a frame rather than in a new window.
Sharing access to a course or activity
- Go to the course and in Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods add 'Publish as LTI tool' as an enrolment method
- In 'Tool to be published' select the course or activity to be shared
- Click the 'Add method' button
- Go to Course administration > Published as LTI tools and make note of the URL and secret for the LTI consumer site.
- You will also need to give the LTI consumer site a consumer key - this can be anything you want.
The LTI consumer can be another Moodle site or any other LTI-consumer-compliant LMS, such as Sakai.
Grade and user synchronisation (if required) are done via the 'Publish as LTI tool grade sync' and 'Publish as LTI tool users sync' scheduled tasks, which run by default every 30 minutes.
If user synchronisation is set to yes, enrolled users in the remote system are synchronised with enrolments in the course, with an account created for each remote user as necessary, and the user enrolled or unenrolled as required. If set to no, at the moment when a remote user accesses the tool, an account will be created for them and they will be automatically enrolled.
On the LTI consumer site (See MDL-53977)
- Visit a course.
- Add a LTI activity and use the URL and secret from the LTI provider site and enter any consumer key you want.
- Log in as a student.
- Visit the course and click on the LTI activity.
- Check the activity displays as expected.