Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Flat file.
The flat file enrolment plugin allows bulk enrolment management (enrol or unenrol) of existing users in existing course via a CSV file.
The file is processed by the Flat file enrolment sync scheduled task (new in Moodle 3.0; previously the legacy cron function was used) and then deleted.
The file should include action, role, user ID number, and course ID number; start time and end time are optional fields. Details of the file format are shown on the flat file settings page Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Flat file (CSV).
Enabling flat file enrolment
An administrator can enable flat file enrolment as follows:
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins and click the eye icon opposite Flat file (CSV). When enabled, it will no longer be greyed out.
- Click the settings link, configure as required (see details of settings below), then click the 'Save changes' button.
You should specify an absolute path for the upload file (eg /var/moodledata/enrolments.txt) where it can be read and modified by the web server process. The file is automatically deleted after processing.
Make sure, you save the file (for example in a text editor) with the same encoding.
You can choose to have an email sent to notify the Administrator, Teachers and/or students when the file has been processed.
- "Unenrol user from course" When the user disappears from the external source, the enrolment is completely removed and all the roles removed. This means some user data and settings are purged from course during course unenrolment (that usually include grades, activity attempts, etc.)
- "Keep user enrolled" When the user disappears from the external source, the enrolment is kept as is, and the user is still able to enter the course and perform activities, access resources, etc. It's a "do nothing" option.
- "Disable course enrolment and remove roles" When the user disappears from the external source, the enrolment is suspended and roles assigned by enrol instance are removed. Please note that user may "disappear" from gradebook and other areas.
Please post in the Enrolment forum on moodle.org.
- Upload users
- Bulk user actions - how to download site user information (including user IDs)
- Flat file enrolments - how is this typically used by organisations? forum discussion