Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Messaging.
"Messaging" refers both to automatic alerts from Moodle about new forum posts, assignment submission notifications etc, and also to conversations using the instant messaging feature.
- Users can receive message alerts from Moodle in a number of ways and for a number of reasons: users may for instance receive instant messages via the Messages block; students may be messaged by their course tutor via the People block; teachers might receive automatic notifications of assignment submissions and admins might receive notification of problems with the site.
- How these messages and others are received can be set by each user from the Messaging link on their Preferences page. Check boxes allow the user to select how they wish to be notified of incoming messages. See Messaging settings for more information.
- as admin in Bulk user actions
- within a course from Navigation > Current course > Participants
- as any logged in user from the Messages block or Online Users block
- a messages button on profile pages enables you to send a message via pop-up box without leaving the page you are on (new in 2.9) New feature
in Moodle 2.9!
See Using Messaging for more details.
To set how you receive instant messages, see Messaging settings.