Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: BigBlueButtonBN.
The BigBlueButtonBN activity module is a contributed plugin written by Blindside Networks that allows the creation of activities into a course providing an easy way for the teacher to create and manage a virtual meeting room / classroom on the BigBlueButton server, and for the student to log into the rooms.
BigBlueButtonBN is part of the Moodle BigBlueButton set and complements RecordingsBN to provide with all the features required in order to take advantage of the new capabilities offered by a BigBlueButton server version 0.80 (and later).
- 1 Features
- 2 Requirements
- 3 Installation
- 4 Development status
- 4.1 Changelog
- 4.2 Latest stable releases
- 4.3 Latest development releases
- 5 FAQ
- 6 More Information
BigBlueButton is an open source web conferencing system for distance education. The goal of the project is to enable universities, colleges, and K12 to delivery a high-quality learning experience to remote students.
BigBlueButton supports real-time sharing of slides (PDF and any document readable by OpenOffice), webcams, whiteboard, chat, voice over IP (using FreeSWITCH), and presenter's desktop. It can record and playback sessions (slides, audio, and chat), runs on Mac, Unix, and PC clients, and is supported by a community of developers that care about good design and a streamlined user experience. (see release notes).
With this plugin you can
- Create links in any class to a BigBlueButton session
- Specify join open/close dates that will appear in the Moodle calendar
- Create a custom welcome messages that appears in the chat window when users join the session
- Launch BigBlueButton in its own window
- Restrict students from entering the session until a teacher joins
- Monitor the active sessions for the course and end any session (eject all users)
- Record and playback your lectures (requires BigBlueButton 0.80)
- Access and manage recorded lectures (requires recordingsbn plugin to be installed)
- A server running Moodle 1.9+. There are three stable releases. Look for the one that corresponds to your version of Moodle. (for Moodle 1.9, for moodle 2.0 to 2.5, for moodle 2.6 to 3.0)
- A BigBlueButton 0.80 (or later) server running on a separate server (not on the same server as your Moodle site)
- The latest version of BigBlueButtonBN Activity Module
Blindside Networks provides you a test BigBlueButton server for testing this plugin. To use this test server, just accept the default settings when configuring the activity module. The default settings are:
url: http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/ salt: 8cd8ef52e8e101574e400365b55e11a6
For information on how to setup your own BigBlueButton server see http://bigbluebutton.org/
These instructions assume your Moodle server is installed at /var/www/moodle.
- Copy zip file you downloaded to /var/www/moodle/mod
cp bigbluebuttonbn.zip /var/www/moodle/mod
- Enter the following commands
cd /var/www/moodle/mod sudo unzip bigbluebuttonbn.zip
This will create the directory
- Login to your moodle site as administrator
Moodle will detect the new module and prompt you to Upgrade.
- Click the 'Upgrade' button.
The activity module will install mod_bigbluebuttonbn.
- Click the 'Continue' button.
You'll be prompted to configure the activity module.
- Enter the URL and salt (security key) to your BigBlueButton server (or use the default values for testing).
- Click the 'Save Changes' button.
At this point, you can enter any course, turn editing on, and add a BigBlueButtonBN activity link to the class.
Note: You will want to install the RecordingsBN activity module to access recordings as well.
You can find a video overview of installing and using this plugin, at http://www.blindsidenetworks.com/integrations/moodle/
- Fixed Bug: Fixed issue with database upgrade when updating from versions older than 2.1.x. The bug only affected users upgrading directly from 1.x to 2.1.0.
- Tag: Bumped version and release tags and updated maturity to stable
- Fixed Bug: Fixed missing variable triggering warning message showing up on in development mode
- Fixed Bug: Fixed bug in format of imported recordings on YUI table
- Fixed Bug: Fixed a bug in import recording. Recordings from deleted activities were not considered.
Tag: Bumped release tag and updated maturity
- Fixed Bug: Considers all the imported recordings corresponding to a course.
- Fixed Bug: Duration was not shown properly in recordings
- Fixed Bug: All events are localized
- Fixed Bug: recordings not showing up after restore
- Fixed Bug: backup/restore were not working on logs
- Fixed Bug: Added missing event
- Fixed bug: Fix for action management not working in recordings.
- Feature: Links to recordings can now be imported into a room/activity from a different course room/activity.
- Fixed Bug: Fixed backups. The logs, a secondary table dependent of mdl_bigbluebuttonbn used for tracking meeting creation is now included as part of the backup.
- Fixed Bug: Fixed issue with database prefix.
- Fixed Bug: Fixed a bug introduced in the previous revision that was making pre-uploaded presentations to be ignored when a new activity was created.
- Fixed Bug: Changed wording for message shown when user is waiting for moderator.
- Improvement: Make sure the php-curl extension is installed. For pre-uploading slides, the use of the php-curl extension is required. If it is not installed or enabled the feature won't be available.
- Fixed Bug: Toggle form for tagging sessions was flicking for a second when the activity page was shown.
- Fixed Bug: When creating a new and pre-uploading presentation is turned off an error messages comes up.
- Fixed Bug: When using localization in a language different than English, the recording table produced for RecordingsBN showed an 'Invalid date' message.
- Fixed bug: Adding a presentation file while creating a new BigBlueButtonBN activity failed. Only after editing the activity and adding a presentation file again would let the feature work.
- Fixed bug: A warning message was shown in the logs when joining a session
Latest stable releases
2.0.2 (2015080609) - for Moodle 2.6/2.7/2.8/2.9/3.0 (Source code)
1.1.1 (2015062101) - for Moodle 2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5 (Source code)
1.0.9 (2013071000) - for Moodle 1.9 (Source code)
Latest development releases
2.0.3 (2015080610) - for Moodle 2.6/2.7/2.8/2.9/3.0 (Source code)
For reporting bugs and issues or asking for new features use the Moodle tracking system Module: BigBlueButtonBN