Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Filters.
Filters can be used to add links, insert multimedia players, convert Mathematical expressions or emoticons into images and more.
A filter may be enabled at the site level and then removed as needed at the course or activity level. Thus a teacher can disable glossary auto-linking in a quiz for example.
Filters in Moodle include:
- Activity names auto-linking - This scans text for activity titles that exist in the same course and creates a link
- Algebra notation - This filter will convert algebra code into GIF images
- Convert URLs into links - This filter converts URLs in selected formats, such as Moodle auto-format, to click-able links
- Database auto-linking - As the name suggests, this filter enables automatic linking of Database module entries
- Display emoticons as images - This converts emoticon (smiley) characters into images
- Email protection - This obfuscates email address links to make them more difficult for spammers to harvest
- Glossary auto-linking - This scans text for glossary entries that exist in the same course and creates a link
- MathJax - For adding mathematical equations and expressions using an equation editor (new in 2.7 onwards)
- Multimedia plugins - This finds a link in text that points to a multimedia resource and replaces the link with an appropriate multimedia player code which can play the resource
- Multi-language content - This filter enables resources to be created in multiple languages
- TeX notation For displaying mathematics using images (new features in 2.8).
- Word censorship - This filter "blacks out" words found on a list
Filters have also been made by developers in the community. Some docs online for these include:
- FontAwesome - This scans text for icons that can be embedded using the FontAwesome icon set.
- IPA - Renders simple X-SAMPA markup in the International Phonetic Alphabet
- PoodLL - is the core PoodLL plugin for Moodle. It contains all the recorders, widgets and the code that makes it possible to use them around Moodle. It is a required component for all the other PoodLL plugins.