Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Curated list.
Key functions in Moodle: looking ahead
Someone suggested last year there could be value in a curated list of enhancements for Moodle. This is the start.
This is a purely speculative exercise.
One of the main reasons we need a list like this is to direct people to when they say "What can I do for Moodle?" I still differ with the official view that "This is a job for the tracker, go and have a look" Of course it is, but that is a bit like giving a newcomer a list of over 43,000 items and saying "Go for it".
And secondly, all requests in the tracker are NOT the same. Several types of tracker items:
- Build the world's best text editor (an epic item, multifaceted)
- "file_rewrite_pluginfile_urls is badly interacting with a user posts when using @@PLUGINFILE@@ just to quote the function itself: catch 22?" This is a real tracker item, and thank goodness there is at least one person who understands this. MDL-46836
- "Moodle sometimes wipes all it's database of users if you press Ctrl-7" This is a made up one, but I'd say this is so urgent people will probably stay a little later at HQ after 4.30pm.
- "Subscribe by thread" https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1626 now fixed this is a "Feature request" not a bug.
- Support undo/undelete. Right now when someone deletes something from Moodle it is gone forever. There are lots of scary pop-ups, but sometimes people make mistakes. What would be better is if when you delete something it sets a "deleted" flag. Then only after X number of days later then a cleanup process will go and really deleted the content. In the meanwhile, we can have an "Undo" link/button displayed right after a delete. Also we can have a "trash bin" location that people can recover deleted items/content.
- More to come here (You are welcome to add something of course!!) -
- I may make a menu template or just a few linked pages. We shall see.
- Just experimenting with a suitable format --Derek Chirnside (talk) 11:50, 13 August 2014 (WST)
- OK, just finished creating a few pages. Simple menu. Anyone: please feel free to edit. Especially if you have comments in the work around section.--Derek Chirnside (talk) 13:02, 13 August 2014 (WST)
- I'd had these pages up less than an hour (abandoned really, not actually finished) when I saw the first edit. This means there is at least one reader. Thanks Tim. --Derek Chirnside (talk) 11:58, 15 August 2014 (WST)