Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Curated list.
Please see also https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_Wishlist
Key functions in Moodle: looking ahead
Someone suggested recently there could be value in a curated list of enhancements for Moodle. This is the start.
This is a purely speculative exercise.
One of the main reasons we need a list like this is to direct people to when they say "What can I do for Moodle?" I still differ with the official view that "This is a job for the tracker, go and have a look" Of course it is, but that is a bit like giving a newcomer a list of over 43,000 items and saying "Go for it".
And secondly, all requests in the tracker are NOT the same. Several types of tracker items:
- Build the world's best text editor (an epic item, multifaceted)
- "file_rewrite_pluginfile_urls is badly interacting with a user posts when using @@PLUGINFILE@@ just to quote the function itself: catch 22?" This is a real tracker item, and thank goodness there is at least one person who understands this. MDL-46836
- "Moodle sometimes wipes all it's database of users if you press Ctrl-7" This is a made up one, but I'd say this is so urgent people will probably stay a little later at HQ after 4.30pm.
- "Subscribe by thread" https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1626 now fixed this is a "Feature request" not a bug.
- Support undo/undelete. Right now when someone deletes something from Moodle it is gone forever. There are lots of scary pop-ups, but sometimes people make mistakes. What would be better is if when you delete something it sets a "deleted" flag. Then only after X number of days later then a cleanup process will go and really deleted the content. In the meanwhile, we can have an "Undo" link/button displayed right after a delete. Also we can have a "trash bin" location that people can recover deleted items/content.
The basic aim is to look at things from a workflow perspective. My users basically say "Show me the workflow". Things need to be easy for the basic regular user, for the common frequently done tasks.
Like Editing stuff, moving stuff, uploading stuff, writing posts, tracking students, maintaining a site, section etc etc.
MoodleHQ has the official position that discussions and voting takes place in the tracker. This is a curated list of a few items that I think demonstrably fit into several of the categories listed above: things we need to do often.
- More to come here (You are welcome to add something of course!!) -
- I may make a menu template or just a few linked pages. We shall see.
- Just experimenting with a suitable format --Derek Chirnside (talk) 11:50, 13 August 2014 (WST)
- OK, just finished creating a few pages. Simple menu. Anyone: please feel free to edit. Especially if you have comments in the work around section.--Derek Chirnside (talk) 13:02, 13 August 2014 (WST)
- I'd had these pages up less than an hour (abandoned really, not actually finished) when I saw the first edit. This means there is at least one reader. Thanks Tim. --Derek Chirnside (talk) 11:58, 15 August 2014 (WST)