Blocks are items which may be added to the left or right or centre column of any page in Moodle. They may also be added to the centre of the My Home (My Moodle) page. You can theme the position of blocks in the centre of pages as well.
Any block can be made 'sticky' so that it appears in all the contexts below, such as throughout a course or a particular activity - see Block settings.
Blocks can be placed on the side of the screen (if your theme supports it) via the Dock icons ( and ). If a responsive theme (such as 'Clean') is used, blocks will be accessible from the bottom of smaller screens, below the main content.
Available blocks include:
There are also many contributed blocks available for download from the plugins database.
- Adding a Moodle block MoodleBites video on YouTube
- Moodle 2.0 Blocks - part 1 and Moodle 2.0 Blocks - part 2 MoodleBites videos on YouTube for an explanation of the standard Moodle blocks in 2.x sites
- Managing blocks - for administrators
- Blocks FAQ
- Blocks in Moodle 2.0 video
- Moodle forum discussion about which Moodle blocks are the most useful for teaching