This page requires updating for Moodle 2.0. Please do so and remove this template when finished.
The News forum is a special forum for general announcements. A course may only have one News forum unless it has been imported from another system which supports more than one news forum.
This forum is automatically created for each course and for the front page of the Moodle site. By default, it is placed in the top of the center section and only teachers and administrators may add posts or reply to posts. The default settings force every enrolled person to be subscribed to the News forum.
The Latest News block displays a specific number of recent discussions from the News forum.
As with any forum, emails can be sent to subscribed members of a News forum.
Removing the news forum
The news forum may be removed from a course as follows:
- Delete the news forum from the course homepage
- In Course settings set "News items to show" to 0
- Delete the Latest news block
- Alternatively - hide the news forum
Enabling logged-in users to view the site news
By default, non logged-in users can view the site news, whereas logged-in users obtain an error message. (This issue is due to be fixed in Moodle 1.9.6 - see MDL-14953.)
To enable logged-in users to view the site news, either:
- Access Site Administration > Front Page > Front Page roles.
- Follow the "Override permissions" link.
- Click on "Authenticated User".
- Change the capability mod/forum:viewdiscussion to allow.
- Click the "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page.
- Access Site Administration > Front Page > Front Page settings.
- Set the default front page role to student (setting only available in Moodle 1.9 onwards).