Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.0. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: News forum.
The News forum is a special forum for general announcements. A course may only have one News forum unless it has been imported from another system which supports more than one news forum.
This forum is automatically created for each course and for the front page of the Moodle site. By default, it is placed in the top of the center section and only teachers and administrators may add posts or reply to posts. The default settings force every enrolled person to be subscribed to the News forum.
As with any forum, emails can be sent to subscribed members of a News forum. To change the subject line of forum notifications, see Forum FAQ
Removing the news forum
The news forum may be removed from a course as follows:
- Delete the news forum from the course homepage
- In Course settings set "News items to show" to 0
- Delete the Latest news block
- Alternatively - hide the news forum
(To restore the news forum, set the "News items to show" to a number greater than 0.)
- MDL-26707 - missing News forum - it doesn't appear if latest news block is missing in new courses