Adding/editing a glossary entry
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Adding/editing a glossary entry.
Adding a glossary entry
To add a glossary entry:
- From the glossary page, click the "Add a new entry" button.
- Enter the word you want to define in the Concept text field.
- Add the definition of the word or concept.
- If you've defined categories in the "Browse by category" tab, you can categorize your entry here.
- If there are synonyms you want to include with the entry, add them to the Keyword(s) text area. Enter one word per line.
- If you want to add an attachment, such as a picture or an article, you can attach it below the Keyword(s) text area.
- Select the auto-linking options (see below).
- Click the "Save changes" button to add your word to the glossary.
Note: To be able to turn on this feature, site-wide glossary auto-linking should be enabled by an administrator (see Filters for further details).
Turning this feature on will allow the entry to be automatically linked, whenever the concept words and phrases appear throughout the rest of the same course. This includes forum postings, internal resources, week summaries and so on. When you click on the word, a new window with the glossary entry will pop-up.
Note: If you do not want particular text to be linked (in a forum posting, say) then you should add <nolink> and </nolink> tags around the text.
This entry is case sensitive
This setting specifies whether matching exact upper and lower case is necessary when performing automatic linking to these entries. For example, if this is turned on, then a word like "html" in a forum posting will NOT be linked to a glossary entry called "HTML".
Match whole words only
If automatic linking is enabled, then turning this setting on will force only whole words to be linked. For example, a glossary entry named "construct" will not create a link inside the word "constructivism".
Deleting an attachment
The easiest way to delete an attachment is to delete the glossary entry and add a new one.