User:James Neill/Using Moodle
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: James Neill/Using Moodle.
Assuming you have access to a Moodle installation as a teacher, with access to at least a sandpit/demo "course" in which you have a teacher role, then here's the stuff to work through.
This is an evolving "teacher-level" resource, initially for myself, as I work with learning about the enablements and disablements of Moodle as a teaching and learning tool.
I have several questions below... feel free to provide responses on this page or the accompanying talk page.
- Beginning Moodle (4 min video)
- Course settings - adjust these to suit your needs
- Currently, I am unable to access "settings" in my UC Moodle Sandpit admin block in order to change the format of the site (from weekly to topic).
- Assign roles
- Currently, I am unable to assign colleagues to lecturer-level roles on UC's installation of Moodle.
- How can I add a text block be added at the top of my site, in the centre, in order to create a welcome/introduction to the site?
- Ah, I seem to recall that maybe the only way to do this is to use Week 1 or Topic 1?? Seems like maybe this is a Moodle quirk?
Forums are a central feature of Moodle and are often the most-used part of Moodle sites.
- Technicalities of managing a forum in which this useful image is suggested as a guide for teachers:
There are several important issues about email to be considered, and several points at which the receiving of emails can be triggered, and configured.
From a user point of view, his/her global email settings can be set via Edit profile. The (default) settings, appear as:
- Switch everything off when designing a site, then start from scratch.
- Links to glossary terms - <nolink>...</nolink> to switch off auto-linking