XMLDB preliminary links
XMLDB Documentation > Introduction > XMLDB preliminary links
This page includes all the links that were found googling the Internet, searching for info, examples, paths and solutions to the whole project of increasing the supported databases working together with Moodle 1.7 and upwards.
The list below isn't ordered, nor well classified, some of the links could be inaccurate, inexact or trivial, but they have been part of the preliminary work, so they will remain here. Thanks to all of them!
From ADOdb HQ
- http://adodb.sourceforge.net: ADOdb Home Page (documentation, forums, mailing lists, FAQ)
- http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-adodb.htm: ADOdb Full Documentation
- http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-datadict.htm: ADOdb Data Dictionary (ADOdb XML Schema)
- http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/tips_portable_sql.htm: Tips on Writing Portable SQL
- http://phplens.com/adodb/supported.databases.html: List of Supported Databases
- http://phpbuilder.com/columns/alberto20000919.php3 and http://linuxjournal.com/article/6636: Installation of SQL*Server drivers
- http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/htdocs/inst_php_apache_linux.html: Installation of Oracle Server drivers
- http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/htdocs/php-oracle-tutorial.html: More about installation of XE, PHP...
- http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/notes/technote_php_instant.html: Installation of Oracle InstantClient and PHP
- http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2005/11/01/oracle-10g-xe-and-php/: Installation of Oracle XE and PHP on Windows.
- http://pecl.php.net/package/oci8 or http://pecl4win.php.net/ext.php/php_oci8.dll: Refactored Oracle driver to use with PHP versions prior to 5.1.2
- https://www.php.net/sqlsrv: PHP's page about SQL*Server
- http://www.php.net/oci8: PHP's page about Oracle
- http://www.freetds.org/: Main page of TDS (tabular data stream) for Unix/Linux
- http://www.toppa.com/blog/technobabble/233: Oracle and PHP talking in UTF-8
- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/mysql.mspx: Migrating MySQL to SQL*Server
- http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html: Migrating MySQL to Oracle
SQL*Server working in UCS-2 (no UTF-8)
- http://journeymanjournal.blogspot.com/2005/02/no-utf-8-support-in-sql-server.html: The premise
- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;232580: The declaration
- http://www.freetds.org/userguide/unicodefreetds.htm: Will this work, yes or no? Not clear documentation
- (NP! It works! Data is converted from UCS-2 to UTF-8 by FreeDTS on the fly, using iconv) - FreeDTS is perfect but only for Unix clients connecting to MSSQL.
- Continue looking for a UTF-8 <==>UCS-2 client solution for Windows clients.
- Solution found! See XMLDB Problems#MSSQL, PHP, UTF-8 and UCS-2 for more info.
- http://weblogs.asp.net/Firoz/archive/2005/06/12/411949.aspx: One cool row_num() is present in MSSQL 2005 (minimum req?).
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenethowto05.asp: MS proposed solution (problems in the last page of the results, always returning numrown instead of the rest and requiring some deterministic order by).
- http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/#select-limit: Nice page explaining diferences and worarrounds between different RDBMS (select-limit and others)
Apart from custom operators supported by different RDBMS, ANSI OUTER joins should be used to guarantee cross-db compatibility: (note that, for INNER joins the traditional - and common - syntax is preferred instead of the ANSI one)
- MySQL: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/join.html
- PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/tutorial-join.html
- MSSQL: http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1438001
- Oracle: http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/sql/join/ansi.html