Large scale Moodle infrastructures can be set up on different types of machines, from bare metal to compartmentalized virtual containers (or Kubernetes Pods).
In this section, we will try to share and put together some case study examples of such technological concepts of running very large scale Moodle systems.
- Bare metal or Virtualization for Moodle Server_cluster setup.
- Clustering Moodle on Multiple Servers for High Availability and Scalability.
- Amazon (AWS) EC2 (VMs) with auto scaling groups and managed services (Storage, Caching, Database, CI/CD).
- Moodle Horizontal Scalable Deployment on AWS stack
- Hosting high availability Moodle on AWS (Spanish)
- Auto-Scaling Moodle Architecture on AWS 2015
- Moodle with AWS Elastic Beanstalk
- Cloud infrastructure for high concurrency slides, video 2019 Moodle MOOT Global presentation.
- Amazon (AWS) Docker containers with auto scaling groups and managed services (Storage, Caching, Database, CI/CD).
- Google (GPC) Kubernetes including automated managed micro services (Storage, Caching, Database, CI/CD, document conversions)
- Microsoft (Azure) - Deploy and Manage a Scalable Moodle Cluster on Azure
- GÉANT webinar about "Managing and running large scale Moodle system, for IT" including video recording & presentations of several different Moodle system architectures.
Custom setup and Tips
- A list of Performance_recommendations tuning tweaks you should consider applying to your system.
- Bare metal vs Virtualization, consideration relevant to the specific way Moodle is built.
- Save some budget with AWS infrequent access EFS
- Deploying Moodle on Azure – things you should know
- Moodle Caching at Scale
- Moodle Hardware and performance forum.
- Large scale Moodle IT support Telegram group (click to join) (discussion archive)
List of Moodle systems by user count
This page was started in December 2005. Inclusion on these pages is by self selection and completely voluntary. There are more sites which meet these criterion that are not listed.
- Installations 1000 plus users
- Installations 5000 plus users
- Installations 10000 plus users
- Installations 30000 plus users
- Installations 250000 plus users
- Installations 300000 plus users
- How big is your Moodle site? choice activity (Sorry, this activity is currently hidden)
- Chart of schools (by size) that are using Moodle forum discussion
- Moodle statistics
- Institutions that have Migrated to Moodle
- Scaling large case studies from Moodle Certified Premium Partner Catalyst IT