Mobile web services
Moodle comes with a built-in web service designed for mobile applications. It is required to run the official Mobile app. Enable it only if you want people to use the official app or if a third-party app explicitly requires it.
Enabling mobile web services
A site administrator first must enable mobile web services:
- In Administration > Site administration > Advanced features
- Check "Enable web services for mobile devices" and then
- Click Save.
That's it! No other steps required.
The rest of this document explains the "behind the scenes".
What happens when the service is enabled
Enabling the mobile web services will automatically:
- enable the web services system (Administration > Site administration > Advanced features)
- enable the built-in external service called 'Mobile web services' - you should see this new mobile service listed as enabled
- enable the rest protocol
- allow the 'webservice/rest:use' capability for authenticated user role
Disabling mobile web services
When you uncheck 'Enable mobile web services', it will automatically disable the external service called 'Mobile web services'.
Prior to MDL-73414, the web services system and the REST protocol were additionally disabled, and it was not possible to enable the web services system unless an external service was enabled. This was not consistent with the web services usage documentation, where the first step was the activation of web services, whether or not an external service was enabled.