Enabling users to connect to an external backpack means they can add badges from their Moodle site to their backpack and also display badges from other sites in their Moodle profile.
Site administration settings
The backpack badgr.io is provided by default. Admins can add additional backpacks, for users with an account on eu.badgr.io, ca.badgr.io or au.badgr.io.
For example, to add the eu.badgr.io follow the steps:
- Go to Site administration / Badges / Manage backpacks.
- Click the button 'Add a new backpack'.
- Create this backpack with the following details:
Follow the same process for ca.badgr.io and au.badgr.io changing only the region letters (the eu in the above URLs to ca or au).
Note the admin can set the order in which backpacks are listed for users.
Individual user settings
You can connect to your backpack as follows:
- In the user menu (top right), select Preferences, then 'Backpack settings' under Badges.
- If necessary, select your backpack provider.
- Enter your Badgr user account email and password.
- Look in your mailbox for a verification email and copy and paste the link to verify your connection to the backpack.
After the backpack connection is successfully established, badges from your backpack can be displayed on your badges page and your profile page. Go to Manage badges (via Preferences / Badges) and click the icon to add your badge to your backpack.
You can also select collections of badges from your backpack that you would like to display in your profile.
Open Badges v 2.1
Moodle 3.11 is Open Badges v 2.1 compliant and a new OAuth 2 Open Badges service enables users to connect to their OB v 2.1 compliant backpack without having to enter their credentials into Moodle.