Frequent uses in Primary education can be extended in late childhood/adolescent years particularly with social, collaborative learning features like forums, wikis, glossaries, blogs and more.
At this stage, teachers often streamline submission of assignments, post feedback, grades. Many creative educators begin to encourage peer evaluation through ratings, design of projects in Groups, even editing of roles and permissions, thus adding responsibility for courses and individual activities.
Moodle for School
MoodleCloud offers a Moodle for School paid hosting service that may be perfect for multiple classes in K-12 teaching and learning environments.
These are the the extra plugins that are included (as of July 2016) in the Moodle for School at MoodleCloud:
If your school has a different hosting, you might want to consider adding the above plugins to your site.
PhET simulations are interactive simulations for science (physics, biology, chemistry, Earth sciences) and math at elementary, middle school, high school and University levels, from the University of Colorado at Boulder, USA, that provides fun, free, interactive, research-based science and mathematics simulations. The simulations are written in Java, Flash or HTML5, and can be run online or downloaded to your Moodle server or desktop computer. All simulations are open source.
Implementing Moodle - A video about how Cynffig Comprehensive School implemented Moodle and how they use it and plan to use it in the future.
What can Moodle do for you - short clip by Mary Cooch on use of Moodle in primary & secondary setting.
Moodle in the classroom - Molly Tipton talks about using Moodle in her 8th grade social studies class.
How can Moodle change a school - 2-part video about gradual implementation, acceptance, and creative use of Moodle in a secondary school.
HCC COWS - From school planning to planning school - Roger Pryor describes the fantastic COWS: Moodle-powered district-wide Collaborative Online Workspaces. The phrase "from school planning to planning school" itself is telling that this is a great initiative. Check out the Moodle Cows & Moodle Sandbox !
Students use Moodle for 21st century learning - When Springville High School Principal Robert Harris went to a national dropout prevention workshop two years ago, he had no inkling that the ideas he gained from one session would take him on a journey that would help lead his students into true 21st Century learning.
Technology brings Moodle, wiki pages to class in Franklin Regional - A case of Moodle as a valuable tool in bridging the gap between tech savvy kids and their teachers.
Virtual Schools Adopt Moodle - The state-run virtual schooling programs in South Carolina and Utah have adopted learning management systems based on the open source Moodle platform.
Medford teachers continue to Moodle - A panel of teachers and administrators gave school officials a taste of the online learning initiatives that currently exist in the Medford Public Schools.
High school from home - A new program at Maidu High School in Auburn offers students an option to go to class without coming to school.
Teachers describe new technology tools in schools - Making course content accessible online and providing immediate feedback to help students greatly benefits staff and students in this cluster of St Croix Valley high schools.
Using Moodle for constructive learning in Berlin (Germany) schools - The "eXplorarium"-project brings Moodle and active, constructive learning to children, young people and teachers of schools (K-12) in Berlin, mainly in disadvantaged areas. Look at the video and visit the website, which takes you also to news about moodle and the project-showroom. (in German)
- How can Moodle be used in elementary forum thread
- Top Tech Tools to Build a Learning Platform forum thread
- NGSS and C3 Framework (USA) forum thread
- StudentQuiz module - While Moodle’s Quiz module allows teachers to define quizzes to be answered by students with a variety of question types, StudentQuiz moves one step further allowing students to contribute to the pool of questions related to the course. StudentQuiz can be configured to award points for contribution and participation by students and allows techers to moderate the question pool by approving or deleting unsuitable or wrong question. StudentQuiz enables students to rate and optionally comment the questions they answered, awarding the creator of the question with additional points.
- Safe Exam Browser - If you want to use Moodle to do proctored e-Assessments, have a look at the integration of the lock-down browser Safe Exam Browser in the quiz module. This could make sure, that students focus on doing the quiz.