Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: James Neill/Moodleposium/2010/Dougiamas.
Moodle 2.0 and the community: Martin Dougiamas, Moodle founder
Martin Dougiamas, just in from a conference in Greece, says we're actually doing pretty well in Australia - although criticism is part of the development cycle.
- xkcd universities webapage comic - good usability graphic - what would xkcd say about Moodle?
- Shows Moodle.org - 2nd oldest moodle site
- Demonstrates Moodle tracker, e.g., including QA (quality assurance) for testing whether things work in 2.0 - anyone can do this e.g., using their own latest version of Moodle - or http://qa.moodle.net (rebuilt every hour)
- Only 3 of the top 10 using Moodle countries are English-speaking; Spain is the highest use per capita
- Languages - http://lang.moodle.org - allows collaborative translation (uses AMOS - flags and tracks all 85 translations)
- Moodle 2.0 benefits
- Security improved
- Performance better
- Media/file management improved
- Integrations - Primarily a course management system - which integrates with intranet and/or wider world
- New features e.g.,
- Navigation block
- Change roles from any page
- Secure RSS feed key
- My Moodle - starts with own page by default
- My private files
- Media importing e.g. via flickr, can be filtered by license and brings in authorship and license details.
- Blog - can now be pointed instead to an external blog
- Conditions: More possibilities for activity completion (rules) - users can also be allowed to do manual completion
- Community hubs
- Workshop module - overhauled/rewritten
- Mooch - repository and searchable listing of open courses and open course content - for re-use - hubs need to be hosted and managed as a quality resource
- In November, Development process model changes from CVS -> Git to be more distributed - Martin's company currently does 60-70% of code development - they will become more like a checking/quality assurance gateway role
- Mobile Apps e.g., synch Moodle assignments to Moodle
- Could there be relative dates for continuous enrolments - would be nice, but not available now