Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Book FAQ.
- 1 How can I enable students to edit a book?
- 2 How can I enable students to import web pages?
- 3 How can I enable teachers to export a book to IMS content package?
- 4 Why only two levels?
- 5 How do I search within a book resource?
- 6 Can I import a PowerPoint into a book?
- 7 Can I change the font of the print view for Book?
- 8 Why does Moodle hard code the print CSS to output books in Print format?
- 9 Any further questions?
How can I enable students to edit a book?
Students are not supposed to be able to edit book; allowing it would be a serious security issue. The capability to edit book chapters is intended strictly for trusted users. Use a Wiki activity instead.
How can I enable students to import web pages?
How can I enable teachers to export a book to IMS content package?
Allow the capability to export to IMS CP for the role of teacher then go to Settings > Book administration > Generate IMS CP.
Why only two levels?
Two levels are generally enough for all books, three levels may lead to poorly structured documents. The Book module is designed for the creation of short multi-page study materials. Consider uploading a file in PDF format for longer documents.
How do I search within a book resource?
There is no internal search facility, though you can always use your web browser's search capability in print page view.
Can I import a PowerPoint into a book?
See the forum post Semi-automated PowerPoint to Book import macrofor one possible method.
Can I change the font of the print view for Book?
Not easily. In book view your theme controls how is your book is displayed, where as during printing, book/tool/print/print.css determines the font, which is defaulted to Times New Roman. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=220147#p972743
- A hack: Use Print view in some utilities like Firebug to change the font.
- Another hack: See suggestion here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=220147#p1066265
- Tracker item: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43385
Why does Moodle hard code the print CSS to output books in Print format?
Not really sure. See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43385
Any further questions?
Please post in the Book forum on moodle.org.