Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Competency reviewer.
Course teachers cannot by default review competencies when their students request them, since competencies and learning plans exist outside of a course context, whereas the role of teacher is assigned in the course context. To allow course teachers to review the competencies of students in their class, follow these steps:
Create a new custom role
- From Site administration, access the Define Roles screen and click the button to Add a new role.
- Ignore the defaults screen and click the blue Continue button.
- Give your role the name 'Competency reviewer'.
- Tick 'User' as the context type where the role may be assigned. (Note: You can tick 'System', but this will then mean the teacher will see all competencies on the site. Normally a teacher would only review those in their course.)
- Scroll down and set the capabilities moodle/competency:usercompetencyreview, competency:usercompetencyview and moodle/competency:competencygrade to Allow.
- If you need the role to be able to view uploaded student evidence, then also set to Allow "moodle/competency:userevidenceview".
- Save the new role.
Assigning the teacher to one or several students
If the teacher only has a few students with competencies to review, this may now be done manually,one at a time. If the teacher's class is very large, see the next section.
- As an administrator, access the student's profile, open Preferences and click the Permissions link.
- From Permissions, click the link 'Assign roles relative to this user' (in the Roles section).
- Click 'Competency reviewer' and add the teacher to this student.
Assigning the teacher to a large number of students
- From Site administration, access the Cohorts screen and create a cohort with the relevant students in it.
- Then from the Users tab, click the link 'Assign user roles to cohort'.
- From the top dropdown, choose your teacher.
- In the middle ('Select role') dropdown, choose 'Competency reviewer'. (Note that only roles with 'User' ticked as the context type where they may be assigned will be visible here.)
- From the bottom ('Select cohorts') dropdown, choose the cohort with the teacher's students.
- Click the Assign button.
What the teacher sees
The teacher can now add the Learning plans block to their dashboard page and any competencies sent for review by their students will be visible here. If there are no pending competencies to be reviewed, the block will not be visible.
For visibility purposes, it is recommended this block be positioned on the teacher's dashboard so that it will stand out (-10 on left or right). That way, the teacher will see any pending competency review requests.