About the Reengagement activity
The Reengagement activity is developed by the Moodle Partner Catalyst IT and provides a way for you to remind students to return to the course and complete activities. You can also use this plugin to selectively release timed content in a course.
Adding a Reengagement activity
A Reengagement activity can be added to a course in the same way as any other activity:
- Turn editing on
- Click 'Add an activity or resource'
- Select Re-engagement
Set Reengagement details
The Email delay can be based on the user enrolment date or a previous activity completion. If you want to use the enrolment date then don't set up any access restrictions on this Re-engagement; each user's timer will start after they enrol in the course. If you want the delay to be based on a previous activity completion you should set that activity as an access restriction to this Reengagment activity; each user's timer will start after they complete the dependencies.
Email User setting
Set "Notify User" to "After Delay" and set the "Notification delay" period. The notification delay determines when the e-mail reminder will be sent based on the previous event (enrolment or activity completion)
Set "Target Activity" - this is the activity that you want to remind the user they must complete - if this activity is flagged as complete within the course then no e-mail reminder will be sent. NOTE: The "Target Activity" selection box does not appear until the "Suppress notification if target activity complete" box is checked (it is located under the 'Notification content (Third-party)' text box.
NOTA para Moodle 3.7 y más recientes: La casilla para selección de "Actividad Destino" no aparece hasta que sea activada la casilla para "Suprimir notificación si actividad destino completa" (está localizada debajo de la casilla de texto de 'Contenido de Notificación (de Terceros)'.
If you want to release a quiz within your course to individual users after a set period (eg 1 week after assignment completion) you use the "Activity completion" settings within the course.
- set the Reengagement duration to the time period you want eg 1 week
- set access restrictions to the reengagement to allow access after assignment is complete (or no access restrictions means start timer after enrolment)
- set access restrictions to the quiz so that it is available only after the re-engagement is complete.
Email place holders
When configuring the e-mails sent from the plugin there are limited place holders you can use. If need to use them properly wrap them with "percentage" (%) symbols. Available substitutions are given below
Permissions "receive notification" was removed from the codebase in github (3/2018) "Start Reengagement" is given to students and controls which users in the course will be listed in the re engagement activity.
- Re-engagment relies on a cron task which set by default to run every hour - check that it is working and that you can see the expected output in the scheduled task log (under Site Administration > Server > Tasks > Scheduled tasks)
- Are you trying to use a very short engagement value like 5 minutes? - the cron is set by default to only run hourly, and it may need to run twice - once to "start" the users in the re-engagment, and then - after the time delay, to actually trigger any notifications.
- Does your site have e-mail disabled? - do emails like forum emails get sent?
- Do you have custom roles on your site - if so, do the students have the start reengagement capability?
- are you using the latest version of re-engagment? - check the GitHub repository readme for details on the supported branches, latest versions.
- Is the course set to visible? - if hidden then the students won't be able to get into the course, so re-engagment won't start, check to make sure by logging in as a student to ensure they can see the course.
- Have you tried to setup a very basic re-engagment activity to help understand how it works? - try setting up a new course, with a new re-engagment with no access restrictions and notify user set to after delay with a notification delay of 1hour, and a test message in the email text. Leave all other settings empty/with their default values. Then enrol a student in the course (make sure they can see the course). Then if cron is running correctly wait 1-2 hours for the student to receive the email.