Enrolment on payment
The Enrolment on payment method (new in Moodle 3.10 onwards) enables users to make a payment via PayPal and or other payment gateways in order to be enrolled in a course.
To use enrolment on payment, an administrator first needs to enable one or more payment gateways and set up one or more payment accounts. For details, see Payment gateways.
Enabling Enrolment on payment
An administrator can enable the enrolment method 'Enrolment on payment' as follows:
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins and click the eye icon opposite Enrolment on payment.
- Click the settings link, configure as required then click the 'Save changes' button.
A user with the Configure enrolment on payment instances capability (by default manager only) can then add Enrolment on payment as an enrolment method in the course as follows:
- On the Participants page, click the Actions menu (gear icon) and select Enrolment methods.
- Choose 'Enrolment on payment' from the Add dropdown menu.
- Select a payment account, amend the enrolment fee as necessary then click the button 'Add method'.
Enrolment on payment capabilities
- Configure enrolment on payment instances
- Manage enrolled users
- Unenrol users from course
- Unenrol self from course
What is the difference between Enrolment on payment and PayPal enrolment?
Enrolment on payment provides more features than PayPal enrolment, such as the option of having multiple Payment gateways.
The PayPal enrolment plugin uses PayPal's old API which still works, though PayPal encourages the use of the new API, as done for the PayPal payment gateway plugin in 3.10.
PayPal enrolment can still be used in 3.10, however it is planned for removal in a future version of Moodle.
For these reasons, it is recommended that you use Enrolment on payment rather than PayPal enrolment.