Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Media embedding.
Embedding audio and video
Audio and video may be embedded in a course in the following ways:
- As a file resource
- As a URL resource with embed as the display option
- In a lesson popup
- In any text area using the Moodle media button in the text editor or simply by typing the URL of media file
The media file link is then replaced with an appropriate multimedia player which can play the resource.
Enabling media embedding
To enable the embedding of media files, an admin must enable
- Appropriate media players (see below)
- The Multimedia plugins filter - unless you only want to allow embedding in File, URL and Lesson modules.
Site administration settings
An administrator can enable selected media players in Administration> Site administration > Appearance > Media embedding.
- YouTube (displays videos hosted on youtube)
- Vimeo (displays videos hosted on vimeo)
- .mp3 - MPEG Audio Stream, Layer III
- .flv - Flash video
- .f4v - Flash video
- .swf - Macromedia Flash animation File (Adobe, Inc.)
- Note: Only used in trusted texts as it has potential security issues
- .ogg - HTML 5 audio
- .acc - HTML 5 audio
- .mp3 - HTML 5 audio
- .webm - HTML 5 video
- .m4v - HTML 5 video
- .ogv - HTML 5 video
Other video players
This is just a few links. Feel free to edit and improve this
About JW player
- Plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/filter_jwplayer Not responsive at the moment. Code given here to enable thumbnails.
Legacy media players
The following legacy media player formats are also available but not recommended for general usage:
- .mov - QuickTime player (requires QuickTime player or codec)
- .mp4 - QuickTime player (requires QuickTime player or codec)
- .m4a - QuickTime player (requires QuickTime player or codec)
- .mpg - MPEG animation - QuickTime player (requires QuickTime player or codec)
- .wmv - Windows media player (Microsoft)-not guaranteed to work in browsers other than IE and non-Windows systems
- .avi - Windows media player - not guaranteed to work in browsers other than IE and non-Windows systems
- dev:Media embedding developer documentation including information on how to change the size of the media player