Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.0. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Upgrade overview.
Moodle 3.0 available now! Start enjoying the cool features of the latest and greatest version of Moodle in four easy steps...
Step 1: Make sure that your server can run Moodle 3.0
(Note: You need to upgrade to Moodle 2.2 before upgrading to 3.0.)
Go to Settings > Site administration > Server > Environment
Status OK for everything? Great! Go to step 2...
Any problems? You probably need to upgrade your server software (such as PHP) to a more recent version.
Step 2: Be prepared!
As usual with any large upgrade, you should always be prepared to "roll back" if there's an issue with your data or some custom code you've added.
- A test install
- We highly advise you make a copy of your production site to practice the upgrade on first. That way, if you run into any problems that need fixing you won't affect your main site.
- Always make backups
- When upgrading your production instance, make sure you have copies of everything, just in case. Full instructions are here: Site backup.
Step 3: Replace your Moodle code
At this point you can replace the Moodle code on your server with the version you downloaded.
- Check plugins
- Any plugins you have installed will also to be replaced with a version for your new Moodle version. If there is not yet an updated version of the plugin available, it will need to be uninstalled before upgrading your site.
Step 4: Perform the upgrade!
Trigger the upgrade by visiting the admin page.
If you have a large site this may take hours, so we recommend upgrading via command line.
How did you go?
- Yes - it worked!
- Great! Repeat the process for Moodle 3.0, and please post in the Installation help forum and share your success with the Moodle community!
- No - I had an error
- Don’t worry, help is at hand. Post in the Installation help forum where our experts are waiting to explain any errors you obtain.