Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.0. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Notes.
The Notes feature is a way to attach information about a user by another user. For example, a teacher might attach a note to a specific student about the hobbies and interests that seems to engage that student.
The Notes page may be accessed via the Navigation block via Site pages > Notes, and/or Courses > Course Name > Participants > Moodle User > Notes - depending on your access rights and the context at which the Notes has been set. Teachers cannot by default access the Notes page via Site pages>Notes.
Administrators and managers can access Site notes via Navigation>My profile>Notes, but will see nothing unless they are enrolled in courses, in which case they will see the links to courses allowing them to go there and add Site notes.
A Note's context determines which users can see the note. You can select from one of the below options when creating or editing a Note.
- Personal - The note will be visible only to you (as the Note author)
- Course - The note will be visible to other Managers and Teachers in this course (or any users with notes:view capability in this course)
- Site - The note will be visible to other Managers and Teachers in all courses (or any users with notes:view capability in any course) when viewing within a course
Tips and tricks
- Notes may be disabled by unticking the enablenotes checkbox in Site administration > Advanced features.
- An Admin, Manager or Teacher may have used the Notes functionality to create private teaching notes regarding a user and changing this user's permissions (or their Role type) will give them access to this information
- Users with this capability set to Allow can edit and delete another user's Note(s)
- Users can only view Notes that have been created within the same context to which their Role has been assigned (e.g. Site, Course, Personal/User).
- Example 1: A Note set to Site Context can be viewed by a Site Administrator at the site level (Site pages> Notes) or by a Teacher when within their own course.
- Example 2: A Note set to Course Context can only be viewed by a Site Administrator when they are in the course in which it was created
- Example 3: A Teacher can only view a Course Context Note when viewed within a course both they and the student/user are associated with
- Notes can be added against any user within the site where the Note author has access rights to view and edit a user's profile and the ability to View notes and Manage notes