Talk:Windows installation using XAMPP
Notes--chris collman (talk) 22:18, 28 October 2015 (AWST) on XAMPP on Windows 10 with Moodle
Will erase these later.
Issues with straight install of XAMPP on Windows 10
Windows 10 has a program that uses port 80 (new version of IIS which Sharepoint uses). XAMPP's default port is 80, so there is a conflict. My solution is to change XAMPP's port. I use 181. So to reach moodle the long address in the browser is 127.0.0.1:181/moodle. I also had some issues with MySQL. Phpmyadmin worked fine.
- I used the control.exe file in the XMAPP folder to start Apache and MySQL.
- In this program, I used the config button for Apache to get to httpd.conf. Around line 60 or so, there are some Listen lines of code. I put a # in front of the activate one and created a new line Listen 127.0.0.1:181.
- I saved the file.
- I used the config button for MySQL to get to the my.ini configuration file for MySQL. I noted the port. It showed 3306.
- I noticed on the splash screen for XAMPP (in my case 127.0.0.1:181/xampp) there was a sections that said "Install applications on XAMPP using Bitnami". I clicked on the Moodle icon. It offered me the chance to download Moodle 2.9.2.
- It downloaded a 36 mg excutable file on my computer and I let it run.
- Later I found that the moodle files were at /apps/moodle/htdocs/moodle.
- In the Moodle Install, I had an existing moodle database in MySQL. I told it to use the extention mdl292_. I also noted the port number that my version of XAMMP was using and noted that when asked.
- Think I would recommend a reboot before starting the process. I went into task manager and saw 3 or 4 Apache lines. In my experience there should be only one. I shut down apache and MySQL with control and then quit control. In task manager I stopped ever apache task and XAMPP control task. Then I restarted my XAMPP control.exe program along with Apache and MySQL.
- I got a warning about my database not being created. I forgot what fiddling I did, went back and ignored it.
- In the end it works.