Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Chemistry/Biochemistry.
Regarding basic notation, see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=111785&mode=1 See also:
- TeX filter - displays TeX notation as GIF images and will show full LaTeX implemention in Moodle 1.6 or later
- DragMath equation editor - a drag-and-drop equation editor that installs as a button in the regular editor, so that it is visible everywhere a user would enter text. Clicking the button launches an applet in a pop-up window so that the user can choose the parts of the equation.
- MathType - a commercial product compatible with many text-editing and presentation software programs, that works with Moodle.
The following Moodle add-ins are useful for making use of molecular data files in courses, and providing 3D visualisations:
- 2D/3D structure display short answer - The 2D/3D Structure Display short answer question type is a short answer question with MarvinSketch for building question content and MarvinView for displaying question content. Anything that you can construct in MarvinSketch can be easily used in short answer questions.
- Drag and drop organic chemestry nomenclature question type - Drag and drop organic chemestry nomenclature question type.
- Fischer projections question type - Drag and drop question type that assesses students knowledge of constructing and interpreting Fischer Projections.
- Lewis structures - With this question type the instructor draws valid Lewis structures with all lone pairs and charges for a molecule. The student is presented with the structure stripped of lone pairs or formal charge, and they must add correct number of lone pairs/radicals or charges to any atoms.
- Newman projections question type - Drag and drop question that tests students knowledge of drawing and interpreting Newman Projections
- Select atoms or molecules question type - This question type allows you to design questions in which students select various atoms, molecules, bonds or other objects
- Jmol filter - display a 3D interactive molecule anywhere in Moodle.
- Jmol resource module for Moodle 1.9 - display a 3D interactive molecule as a specific configurable resource
- Java Molecular Editor question type - ask students to design and submit a molecular structure.
- Chemistry notation using mhchem The mhchem package provides commands for typesetting chemical molecular formulae and equations.
Using Moodle forum discussions: