Text editor FAQ
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Text editor FAQ.
- 1 I can't find the option to do......
- 2 I am missing some buttons in Atto that I had in TinyMCE
- 3 How can I have the Atto toolbar always expanded?
- 4 Can I customize the text editor or add other icons like an anchor or horizontal rule?
- 5 Where is the full screen button in Atto?
- 6 The Text editor does not appear
- 7 How can I enable a spell-check?
- 8 What is the biggest chunk of text you can edit?
- 9 Are there any keyboard shortcuts?
- 10 See also
I can't find the option to do......
Click the icon top left of the Text editor toolbar. It will expand the toolbar to give another row with more options.
It may be that these have been deliberately left out because of accessibility issues or to save space. Some of these an administrator can add back via Site administration>Plugins>Text editors>Atto HTML editor>Atto toolbar settings . Others could be added via a custom plugin if one is developed. There is a plugin for adding colours and also a plugin for adding a [https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=atto_hr%7Chorizontal rule See also this forum post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=265176#p1149721
How can I have the Atto toolbar always expanded?
In Site administration>Plugins>Text editors>Atto HTML editor>Atto toolbar settings, scroll to the Toolbar config box and remove the setting 'collapse = collapse'. Save the changes.
Can I customize the text editor or add other icons like an anchor or horizontal rule?
Yes - see the section on customising the editor toolbar in Text editor and see the FAQ above about missing buttons.
The Atto designers decided not to include a full screen button in order to save space on the toolbar, and because of accessibility issues.
However, you can add this functionality with the Full screen plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=atto_fullscreen
The Text editor does not appear
Check the following points (in no particular order);
- Are the Atto (or TinyMCE) editors enabled in Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Text editors > Manage editors?
- Are the Atto or (TinyMCE) editors set in Administration > My profile settings > Edit profile?
How can I enable a spell-check?
It is recommended to use an in-browser spell checker.
If you are using the TinyMCE editor the older spell engine settings are available in Administration>Site administration>Plugins>Text editors>TinyMCE HTML editor>Legacy spell checker (To use PSpell or PspellShell you need to install aspell 0.50 or later on your server, and enter the correct path to access the aspell binary in Administration > Server > System paths.)
What is the biggest chunk of text you can edit?
Maximum size of the forum post text is not limited by database. The maximum text sizes depend on PHP settings related to POST request processing and available memory.
Are there any keyboard shortcuts?
Here are some keyboard shortcuts (particularly useful when using the collapsed editor)
- Using Moodle Text editor forum