How do I prevent students from enrolling themselves in a course?
- If you are a teacher in a course, go to Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods and disable (close the eye) of the self-enrolment option.
- If you are site admin, go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Manage enrol plugins and disable (close the eye) of the self enrolment plugin.
Why can I not add a cohort to my course? (I know there is one!)
Only admins and managers have the right to add a cohort, so a regular teacher will not see "cohort sync" in the dropdown in Settings>users>enrolment methods; nor will they see the "Enrol cohort" button in Administration>users>enrolled users. For more information on the capabilities involved, see Cohorts.
Why are users being unenrolled for no apparent reason?
- In a course, go to Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods and click the edit (hand/pen)icon of the self-enrolment option. Check the time in the dropdown next to Unenrol active after...
(See Unenrolment for a full list of what controls unenrolment.)
- As a site administrator, you can specify the default time after which a user is unenrolled in Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Self enrolment
Why are all students enrolled in all courses?
If the default role for all users in Site Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies is set to student rather than authenticated user (the default setting), this will result in all students being enrolled in all courses.
Another possibility is that users are assigned the system role of student. Check Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Assign system roles and unassign users as necessary, then reassign them the role of student in the course context.
How do I enable students to unenrol themselves from courses?
To enable students to unenrol themselves from any course:
- Access Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles
- Click the edit icon opposite the student role
- Change any/all of the capabilities enrol/manual:unenrolself, enrol/paypal:unenrolself and enrol/self:unenrolself (depending upon which enrolment plugins are enabled for the site) from not set to allow
- Click the "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page
To enable students to unenrol themselves from a particular course:
- Go to Administration > Course administration > Users > Permissions
- Click the Allow icon (+) opposite the appropriate unenrolself capability (corresponding to the method in which students are enrolled) and allow the student role
Note: If students are manually enrolled in the course, then enrol/manual:unenrolself should be allowed; if students self-enrol, then enrol/self:unenrolself should be allowed.
How do I change the spelling of "enrol" to "enroll"?
Install the American English language pack (en_us) via Administration > Site administration > Language > Language packs then choose it as the default language for the site in Administration > Site administration > Language > Language settings. All new accounts on the site will then have en_us set as the preferred language in their profile.
If the spelling of enroll remains unchanged, check that en_us is set as the preferred language in your own profile settings.
Is there a way for teachers to be notified when students enrol in a course?
Flat file enrolment includes an email notification feature when enrolment is complete; however there is no option for self enrolment.
When a student self-enrols, can the welcome email message be customised?
A teacher can customise the message at course level as follows:
- Go to Administration > Users > Enrolment methods
- Click the edit (hand/pen)icon for self enrolment
- At the bottom of this screen is a box where you can customise the message for your course
An admin can customise the message for the whole site by editing the welcometocoursetext language string. See Language customization for further details.
How can the course welcome message be disabled?
- In a course, you can disable the message by clicking on Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods Click the edit (hand/pen) icon to the right of Self enrolment. Remove the tick from "Send course welcome message".
- The message can be disabled throughout Moodle by the site admin via Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Self enrolment.
How can we set which e-mail address the welcome message comes from?
If you change email at: Site administration/Server/Support contact/ the Moodle system will use new email address and from name.
How can I prevent certain teachers from appearing in the course participants list?
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and click on the teacher role
- Click the 'Duplicate role' button
- Rename the role as 'Non-participating teacher' or similar
- Enter moodle/course:view in the filter and tick the checkbox to allow the moodle/course:view capability
- Click the 'Create this role' button
- Go to a course then Administration > Course administration > Users > Other users
- Click the 'Assign roles' button and assign users the role of 'Non-participating teacher'
How can I get the grades back for a user who was accidentally unenrolled?
See the section on unenrolment and user data in Unenrolment.
Why does my course have a lot of duplicated guest access settings?
This is a bug with courses which have been restored. It seems that each time they are restored, extra guest access settings appear. It doesn't appear to affect use of the course however. The tracker entry is MDL-31497 if you would like to vote for it to be fixed.
What is the difference between unenrolled and suspended?
See the section on Suspended or Unenrolled in Unenrolment
How can I suspend a user from a course?
You can suspend users from courses via a text/csv file from Site administration>Users>Accounts>Upload users by using the enrolstatus field, where 1 against a user means they are suspended (and leaving blank means they are still enrolled.)
When enrolment in a child course expires, do enrolments in metacourses expire too?
No; students must be manually unenrolled - see MDL-38916.
How do I prevent teachers from accidentally disabling enrolment methods in a course?
Edit the teacher role in Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and uncheck the capability moodle/course:enrolconfig.
Make sure Manual enrolment is enabled in your course.
I am using Paypal but users can access my course without paying
Make sure you don't also have Self enrolment without an enrolment key enabled. This would allow users to bypass Paypal. (If you need some users to self enrol for free as well as clients enrolling through Paypal, then add an enrolment key in the self enrolment settings.)
Can I have a metacourse of a metacourse?
- Using Moodle Enrolment plugins forum
Using Moodle forum discussions: