Teachers can do almost anything within a course, including adding or changing the activities and grading students. By default, teachers can also assign a Non-editing teacher role and a Student role to other users. (To allow teachers to enrol other teachers, see Assign roles
By default users are not assigned the role of Teacher throughout the site, but are only assigned (enrolled) as a teacher to a single course/class at a time. The same applies to students. Teachers can only teach in the courses they have been enrolled in. (If you really need your teacher to access all courses, see #13 of Roles FAQ
Enrolling a user as a teacher in a course
- As a manager or administrator, go to Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolled users
- Click the 'Enrol users' button at the top right or bottom left of the page
- From the 'Assign roles' dropdown choose the teacher role
- Select enrolment options as appropriate
- Browse or search for the user
- Click the Enrol button opposite the user. The user will indent in the list and the enrol button will disappear, indicating that the user is enrolled.
- When you have finished, click the 'Finish enrolling users' button (or simply close the enrol users box)
The user will then appear in the list of enrolled users and will no longer be available in the search list.
For more information on manually enrolling teachers, see Manual enrolment
Changing Teacher Permissions
Note: if you need to modify the Teacher role significantly, it is advisable to create a new role rather than editing the default teacher role. See Creating custom roles
If you really need to change the default Teacher role, go to Administration>Site administration>Users>Permissions>Define roles. In the right pane you will see Manage Roles with a list of user roles. To the right of the teacher description, click on the edit icon.
From the Editing role 'Teacher' page you can change what a teacher can or cannot do by checking or unchecking the Allow check-boxes under Capability/Permission. Be careful what you allow a teacher to do here. Consider the security vulnerabilities of giving a teacher an inappropriate permission. Only give the teacher permissions that are necessary or appropriate. To the right of many of the Allow check boxes are colored triangles the notify you of possible security warnings for each choice. Use those warnings to help you decide which permissions you will or won't give to your teachers.
Enrolling teachers category or site-wide
Under some conditions (such as for homeschool parents) you may want to assign a user the role of teacher within a category or for your whole site, instead of manually enrolling them into every course. Only modify the default Teacher role if you are certain you need to. It is preferable to create a new role and assign it to the category or site context. To understand the idea of roles in category and sites contexts, see Assign roles and to assign a teacher to a category, see Category enrolments.
- For more information about why we use the label of "Teacher" see the Why "teacher" discussion