Box.net APIv1 migration
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.6. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Box.net APIv1 migration.
Note: This page contains information for site administrators only.
Box API v2
- The Moodle site must use HTTPS in order to access Box.
- Box plugins must be configured with a Box client ID and secret.
- For Box repository users it will no longer be possible to create a shortcut/alias to a file stored in Box. Existing aliases will need to be converted to file copies by running the Box.net-alias-to-copy-conversion tool.
Obtaining a Box client ID and secret
- Go to https://app.box.com and create an account or log in
- Go to https://app.box.com/developers/services and click the link 'Create new application'
- Enter an application name and click the 'Content API' button
- Once the application is created, click the 'Edit this application' button
- On the Edit a Box Application page, scroll down to the section 'OAuth2 parameters' and make a note of the client ID and secret
The client ID and secret can then be used to configure the Box repository and Box portfolio.
Box repository configuration
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Repositories > Manage Repositories
- Reactivate the Box.net repository by selecting 'Enabled and visible' in the dropdown menu
- Configure the repository plugin by entering the Box client ID and secret. Make sure you don't include any white space in the text boxes!
- Save changes
Box portfolio configuration
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Portfolios > Manage Portfolios
- Reactivate the Box.net portfolio by selecting 'Enabled and visible' in the dropdown menu
- Configure the portfolio plugin by entering the Box client ID and secret
- Save changes
The Box-alias-to-copy-conversion tool
IMPORTANT: The Box-alias-to-copy-conversion tool must be used before 14 December 2013 to avoid data loss!
Administrators are advised to run the Box-alias-to-copy-conversion tool immediately after upgrading their site. It may be run
Either from within Moodle:
- Ensure that the Box repository has been configured according to the instructions above
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Modules > Repositories > Manage repositories and click the settings link for Box
- Click the link to run the tool
Or via a CLI script, found at /repository/boxnet/cli/migrationv1.php.
Please be aware that this tool could take several hours to run depending on the number of aliases and their size.