The role of cohort enroller may be given to a regular editing teacher to allow them to enrol category cohorts into their course.
Despite appearances to the contrary, teachers cannot enrol cohorts either via Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods or Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolled users. See Capabilities/enrol/cohort:config.
This custom role will permit teachers to enrol category cohorts into their course. This means therefore that a Head of Science Faculty could enrol cohorts for Biology, Physics and Chemistry courses while not having access to cohorts from other faculties.
Creating a new role
- As an administrator, go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and click the "Add a new role" button.
- Give the role a name and assign it to the category context.
- Filter to see entries connected with "cohort" and allow them all.
- Click the "Create this role" button.
Assigning the role to a teacher
- As an administrator, go to the category page, for example http://YOURMOODLESITE/course/category.php?id=1
- In Administration > Assign roles, assign the role of Cohort enroller to the required course teacher.
- When the teacher returns to their course, they will be able to add the "cohort sync" method in Administration > Course administration > Enrolment methods and will also see the "Enrol cohort" button in Administration > Course administration > Users > Enrolled users.
How it works
- The cohort enroller role is given to a user in the category context and so will appear in Administration > Course administration > Users > Other users
- The user needs to have the teacher role as well in the course(s) where they need to enrol cohorts.
- Setting it up this way means that the teacher has no additional permissions that, say, a manager might have; they can merely enrol cohorts alongside their usual job.